Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HJ Holden demister duct removal and installation

HJ Holden demister duct removal and installation

G,day all,i need help in removing and installing a demister duct ,the lugs on mine snapped ,I managed to find one with the lugs intact that I pulled from a wreck ,I unscrewed the wing nuts and two lower screws holding in , hoping it would come out from under the dash, not so, lucky it had a massive rusted hole in the floor that I passed it through to get it out.Question is ,is there an easy way to get these in without taking the whole dash out?there seems to be nothing regarding this in my workshop manual.Any advise greatly appreciated.Paul.Picture of the duct is attached.Example pic from ebay.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Indy Orange; 02-06-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Sandman Driver
    Shouldn't be too hard mate, I dont understand exactly what you mean about snapped lugs, or the hole in the floor (I take it that was in the donor vehicle).

But yeah you can get that in without removing the dash (easier with the glovebox out) - but its not the way to do it. Taking the dash out is usually quicker than the stuff around - its half disassembled once you've got the glovebox out anyway.

You obviously want the demister to work, so the ducts and plastic bits need to line up properly nice fits, no gaping leaks, nice and straight, and you may as well check all the cables are working properly once you finish the job (they're simple, but easy enough to dislodge or wedge/twist/jam if you cant see your final result), so, I'd just take the dash out, (have several marge containers or etc to put the different size screws in and know where they came from) and then you can set your demister system up properly, and be confident its correct.

Taking the dash out is less than an hour if you're organised, putting it back same time. You could easy spend heaps longer tryna manouver the duct in with only the glove box removed, and you may not get it in the right place, (and you get to clean your air system out at the same time. - it is bound to be pretty dusty).

everything bar the instrument cluster needs to come out to get that sucker in and out. should only take you 15 mins to get components out and another 5 mins to remove the y piece in the image. the wingnuts get rusted on an its a bit of a contortion job but easy enough. Very common for the tabs to snap. Pass it out on the passenger side to avoid the pedals from memory.
    BQZ

Thanks so much for the replies Dave and Vombil,I think I'll take the glovebox compartment out first and pass it out from the passenger side and see how I go ,I also have a front speaker I want to mount where the wing nuts are(saves cutting holes in the kick panels).thanks again.

$T2eC16ZHJGIE9nnWrPjuBQ+n8ROM+w~~60_57HJ HOLDEN SPEAKER.jpgOn a side note I purchased this recently for under dash ,not a bad sound quality.

awesome. ebay?
    BQZ

Yeah, ebay ,just bolts straight up to the dash speaker grill with the wing nuts.

post the link please. im going to buy more than one!
    BQZ

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-HQ...ea.There's a single version as well ,I bought the double.

cheers
    BQZ

Thread Information