Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: HZ Van Persian Sand MKII

Thanks mate. Getting used to it. I had the motor machined, bored, new pistons the works. I had a guy that was going to put it together for me. He fell through due to injury and recommend this bloke. I meet with him and gave him everything and got told about $600. He said he would do it when not busy to help with the price. After 2 years I just wanted it back so I called and got told that the heads needed reco by someone, so with that done it was $1200 all up, but it was really close and just needed the heads put on. Said ok and after a couple of weeks got a call that it needs helicoils in the wet holes. I said ok on the helicoils. Finally got cash together thinking $400/$500 for the helicoils and got told it was now $2650. $1900 for labour and $750 for parts. I gave him everything so I don’t know what the parts are, but $1900 to put the motor together I think is a bit much.but it is home now needs paint. Looking to see if the water pump was painted or not can’t remember

Water pump is not painted Wombat

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat7051 View Post
    Got the motor back today bit upset, $2650 for a put together and $1500 for machine work. Over 4K just for the motor felling a bit ripped off.
    That's about right for a full rebuild

Thanks Valencia

I would expect 5-6 k for a basic rebuild

Thanks mate. Getting used to it. I had the motor machined, bored, new pistons the works. I had a guy that was going to put it together for me. He fell through due to injury and recommend this bloke. I meet with him and gave him everything and got told about $600. He said he would do it when not busy to help with the price. After 2 years I just wanted it back so I called and got told that the heads needed reco by someone, so with that done it was $1200 all up, but it was really close and just needed the heads put on. Said ok and after a couple of weeks got a call that it needs helicoils in the wet holes. I said ok on the helicoils. Finally got cash together thinking $400/$500 for the helicoils and got told it was now $2650. $1900 for labour and $750 for parts. I gave him everything so I don’t know what the parts are, but $1900 to put the motor together I think is a bit much.but it is home now needs paint. Looking to see if the water pump was painted or not can’t remember
    Sounds rich to me!
    If he's some know race engine guru then maybe...
    Anyway your done now. Bloody hold him to all warranties though.

Good luck and hopefully things go smooth from now on.
    No paint on on water pump, overspray on timing cover (if you're into that!)
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

You’re not going to get much cheaper unless you’ve got a close personal friend or something to do it.

I used to do minor handyman stuff for family and friends at a good rate. Started getting calls from their friends and their doctors and then the doctors other patients. I had a slightly higher price for them but it was getting to point where it would cut into all my free time and was stopping me from doing my own stuff.

Hi Wombat, I kept a tally of my costs and basically it cost me about $6000. That was all new parts throughout. It included $1800 for machine shop labour which included work on the heads. Now for the good part, my brother assembled it for a bottle of good scotch and then my nephew painted it for me. I have since had my other brother recondition the alternator and starter motor. Maybe I'd better get my finger out and get back to it, but I'm still working on my wife's kombi and then she goes and buys a bug.
    Keep at it.

BEEF3693.JPG
    AQVI0132.JPG
    First coat done

Any updates on this one, Wombat?

I'd like to see some pics

I will try and get some more up on the weekend

Thread Information