Thread: streeter show wheels fitment.

P Plater

streeter show wheels fitment.

G'day all, I've been looking at buying a set of streeter show wheels like these
    http://showwheels.com.au/portfolio-view/streeter-black/

they have varying sizes from 17"-20".

I'm toying with the idea of getting a set of 17s or 18s for '79 HZ Ute.
    my question to the forum is, has anyone had any experiences fitting large wheels to a ute, and what sort of clearance can I expect without having to make major body modifications. The wheels i'm looking at would most likely be 17x8 or 18x9, but im not confident that I can get 9" wheels to fit under it comfortably.

cheers.

I can tell you my son bought a set of his car directly from the Show Wheels. The quality was very ordinary at best. The machining of the stud and hub hole varied from wheel to wheel.
    He finally got a result with a warranty claim and some re-machining done by a local engineer (at his own expense). I very much doubt he would ever deal with them again. Another thing was mismatched centre caps and a long wait for delivery from the USA. Two of the wheels couldn't be balanced prior to being re-machined. The local Bob Jane store said this was common with Show Wheels.

They are a neat looking wheel for sure. But they are a cheap nasty imitation.

Forewarned - Forearmed

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    I can tell you my son bought a set of his car directly from the Show Wheels. The quality was very ordinary at best. The machining of the stud and hub hole varied from wheel to wheel.
    He finally got a result with a warranty claim and some re-machining done by a local engineer (at his own expense). I very much doubt he would ever deal with them again. Another thing was mismatched centre caps and a long wait for delivery from the USA. Two of the wheels couldn't be balanced prior to being re-machined. The local Bob Jane store said this was common with Show Wheels.

They are a neat looking wheel for sure. But they are a cheap nasty imitation.

Forewarned - Forearmed
    That's good to know I was looking at a set last tax time but run short , so was this lately or a while back I think an Aussie company sorts them now , I hope they have sorted quality dramas out but I spose they were cheap and also cast so room for poor quality is there , I will keep watch as they do look good I think .
    They

Quote Originally Posted by Cocko750 View Post
    That's good to know I was looking at a set last tax time but run short , so was this lately or a while back I think an Aussie company sorts them now
    Yes Australian company importing US made cast wheels. It was late last year into early this year.

Leadfoot
    I got a set of 17 x 8 thrashstars from show wheels and ran them with 235 45 tread and had minor clearance issues on my Q ute but it is fairly low.
    They were so cheap I bought a set of 17 x 7 and split them between the Q and the Z running the 7s on the front still with 235 45 tread.
    No clearance issues on either car . Yes they are cheap and $650 a set at the time but I got wheels and tires for the price of just the tires if I stuck with 14s.
    And as time goes on 17' tires are cheap. Yes they are the rims on my ute and wagon in my other rides thread.

You are going to have all sorts of trouble with 18x9's, but 17x8's will be OK with 235's.

I like utevanwgn's idea of the 7" fronts, then you can drop the front ride height to sit the tyre and rim up under the guard lip front and back and it will look great.

I personally like the look of the Streeter, but I've seen some very average quality ones too. My only other problem with big wheels on older cars is the size of the disc and drum brakes. The gap between the brakes and the inside of the rim looks weird.

- - - Updated - - -

You are going to have all sorts of trouble with 18x9's, but 17x8's will be OK with 235's.

I like utevanwgn's idea of the 7" fronts, then you can drop the front ride height to sit the tyre and rim up under the guard lip front and back and it will look great.

I personally like the look of the Streeter, but I've seen some very average quality ones too. My only other problem with big wheels on older cars is the size of the disc and drum brakes. The gap between the brakes and the inside of the rim looks weird.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information