Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandman Car Club Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Calbert View Post
    Just to chime in, I have been trying to get started on a "car club" for a little while now (Vic) and have been getting the run around by Vic roads they only give me an email address that doesn't respond to me, Google don't help much either.. It's a bit like,You need this before you can do that, but you can't do that untill you have this
    The only bloke I know personally that is a member of a Club tells me the club officials keep there cards close to there chest :( But one thing he assures me is that the 90 day thing is either 1x90 or 2x45 days "straight" meaning Not 90 selected days. hope i'm wrong but i are saying if you started 90 days from Jan 1st it would be done and dusted on March 31st and not eligible to re-new until the next calender year.
    If any one can put me on the right track to starting a Vic Car club I would be very greatfull
    There doesn't appear to be any info about how to be accepted on the approved VicRoads club list... I do know bloke in VicRoads, I'll ask.

It's definitely not 45/90 'straight' days. It's 45/90 days over the year of the permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    I agree that membership should be open to anyone interested in Sandmans. If that were not the case, the club would be restricting a lot of people that may be about to buy or have sold one. I for one don't currently own one, but I have some pretty serious plans for the not too distant future after selling some of my current collection.

Club rego should be for all members eligible vehicles (that's the whole point of forming a club). I'm not going to join a Sandman van/ute club that allows club rego for any body style of HQ-HZ, but doesn't allow my WB van!
    My 'spider senses' are telling me that membership should be opened to all interested people, regardless of whether they own a Sandman, however the club focus being on HQ -WB vans and utes (and HBD) and club sign off limited eligible vehicles of these categories under each state requirements (>25 years, with the varying state rules). Would be good to see what other model specific clubs do, like the GT club/s that have similar ID variances.

How would the non-vehicle interested members benefit? Still paying members with a membership card that entitles them to ??? I don't know - a membership sticker and card, discounted Sandman merchandise - could probably do a deal with producers of Sandman merch, Byron's 'brain'(could he be persaded to 'tell all') - Sandman authenticity info (currently readily forum'ed), general sense of 'Sandman'ism'. In time there maybe be sponsors that could offer member discounts.

Ideally people would join just because it's cool to be member and because everyone wants to be. Junior members to encourage Sandman succession - my boys are junior ASRF members and love seeing their birthdays mentioned in the newsletter and going in the drawing competitions. There needs to be incentive other than club permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeza View Post
    There doesn't appear to be any info about how to be accepted on the approved VicRoads club list... I do know bloke in VicRoads, I'll ask.

It's definitely not 45/90 'straight' days. It's 45/90 days over the year of the permit.
    Ta Jeza, So you are saying if you had a 90 day permit and only took the toy out on Sundays you wouldn't come close to using all your days.

Also another piece to the puzzle of 'getting started' is your club has to be "incorporated" so they say its like starting a business, Have name of group,have members signed up,become incorporated 'that apparently is so an individual can't be liable'(sued),then you are getting close to Vicroads.

this bit above is not gospel,it is just what I have been told

Quote Originally Posted by Calbert View Post
    Ta Jeza, So you are saying if you had a 90 day permit and only took the toy out on Sundays you wouldn't come close to using all your days.

Also another piece to the puzzle of 'getting started' is your club has to be "incorporated" so they say its like starting a business, Have name of group,have members signed up,become incorporated 'that apparently is so an individual can't be liable'(sued),then you are getting close to Vicroads.

this bit above is not gospel,it is just what I have been told
    Absolutely, I work on the once or twice a weekend principle.

I think your on track with the Inc body, I don't believe it's too difficult to establish.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    I agree that membership should be open to anyone interested in Sandmans. If that were not the case, the club would be restricting a lot of people that may be about to buy or have sold one. I for one don't currently own one, but I have some pretty serious plans for the not too distant future after selling some of my current collection.

Club rego should be for all members eligible vehicles (that's the whole point of forming a club). I'm not going to join a Sandman van/ute club that allows club rego for any body style of HQ-HZ, but doesn't allow my WB van!

But.... we do need to talk and that's what we are doing. As I said previously, if we keep kicking it around we will end up working it out.
    Agreed with the membership...sounds right.

For sure your van in your avatar would be acceptable for club rego....has the decal, thus resembling a Sandman!!

Not sure whom, but there's a member on here that has a HZ(I think) wagon, that has Sandy decals...also acceptable.

Even a tonner with modded decals would work for me!!!

That works the body type argument for me.

keep kickin

My 'spider senses' are telling me that membership should be opened to all interested people, regardless of whether they own a Sandman, however the club focus being on HQ -WB vans and utes (and HBD) and club sign off limited eligible vehicles of these categories under each state requirements (>25 years, with the varying state rules). Would be good to see what other model specific clubs do, like the GT club/s that have similar ID variances.

How would the non-vehicle interested members benefit? Still paying members with a membership card that entitles them to ??? I don't know - a membership sticker and card, discounted Sandman merchandise - could probably do a deal with producers of Sandman merch, Byron's 'brain'(could he be persaded to 'tell all') - Sandman authenticity info (currently readily forum'ed), general sense of 'Sandman'ism'. In time there maybe be sponsors that could offer member discounts.

Ideally people would join just because it's cool to be member and because everyone wants to be. Junior members to encourage Sandman succession - my boys are junior ASRF members and love seeing their birthdays mentioned in the newsletter and going in the drawing competitions. There needs to be incentive other than club permit?
    I'm liking "regardless of whether they own a Sandman, however the club focus being on HQ -WB vans and utes (and HBD)'" bit. Guess it sounds better worded differently. Can't be so restrictive.

Good ideas. Must admit, quality merch would be cool.

Family, individual & Junior memberships?? Just an idea

How often are the ASRF newsletters? Drawing comps for the kids (and adults) is a very cool idea. Family vibe gets the thumbs up from me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    I'm liking "regardless of whether they own a Sandman, however the club focus being on HQ -WB vans and utes (and HBD)'" bit. Guess it sounds better worded differently. Can't be so restrictive.

How often are the ASRF newsletters? Drawing comps for the kids (and adults) is a very cool idea. Family vibe gets the thumbs up from me!!
    I reckon the ASRF newsletters are quarterly - but they are pretty full on being more like a little booklet. But it's more than a club they have their own Headquarters (Burleigh Qld from memory). They have raffles for Hotrods and crap loads of members - I want to say 20,000 but could be wrong? they have no restrictions on memberships nor club permit vehicles other than complying with state regs. Guessing that it's a big business with significant infrastructure, turnover, overheads and paid employees.

I reckon got to start small, perhaps newsletters could be electronic - a bit of a feature on Sandman tech info, a featured vehicle, upcoming events, dawning comp for the juniors.

Focus on what the club is about - Sandman's (or is that 'Sandmen') with a bit of flexibility. With the vehicles, I'm more referring to those that would be recognised as membership vehicles and qualify for club permits. But if the club attended a car show, do you have other body shapes? Again it would be good to see what the GT and Monaro club/s deal with this. You know I'm not so sure about the Sandman wagon, or the tonner with decals? Got to draw a guideline there somewhere and I reckon the body shape might be it? There could always be a section or recognition for Sandman members 'other vehicles' but club permit and event displays, yeah I don't know?

Once there is a little bit of framework around what I 'could' look like, perhaps we could do post a survey about what interested forum users would want it to look like? Tricky, because those who have another type of vintage vehicle will want to qualify for club permit through the Sandman club - is that in the interests of th club, or their personal interests? I have a HK Brougham, would I want Sandman Club authorized club permit - probably, but is that right and what the Sandman club is about - probably not...

Anyhow, all these things will need to be explored. Let's keep up the input - I'm liking it

I reckon the ASRF newsletters are quarterly - but they are pretty full on being more like a little booklet. But it's more than a club they have their own Headquarters (Burleigh Qld from memory). They have raffles for Hotrods and crap loads of members - I want to say 20,000 but could be wrong? they have no restrictions on memberships nor club permit vehicles other than complying with state regs. Guessing that it's a big business with significant infrastructure, turnover, overheads and paid employees.

I reckon got to start small, perhaps newsletters could be electronic - a bit of a feature on Sandman tech info, a featured vehicle, upcoming events, dawning comp for the juniors.

Focus on what the club is about - Sandman's (or is that 'Sandmen') with a bit of flexibility. With the vehicles, I'm more referring to those that would be recognised as membership vehicles and qualify for club permits. But if the club attended a car show, do you have other body shapes? Again it would be good to see what the GT and Monaro club/s deal with this. You know I'm not so sure about the Sandman wagon, or the tonner with decals? Got to draw a guideline there somewhere and I reckon the body shape might be it? There could always be a section or recognition for Sandman members 'other vehicles' but club permit and event displays, yeah I don't know?

Once there is a little bit of framework around what I 'could' look like, perhaps we could do post a survey about what interested forum users would want it to look like? Tricky, because those who have another type of vintage vehicle will want to qualify for club permit through the Sandman club - is that in the interests of th club, or their personal interests? I have a HK Brougham, would I want Sandman Club authorized club permit - probably, but is that right and what the Sandman club is about - probably not...

Anyhow, all these things will need to be explored. Let's keep up the input - I'm liking it

For sure your van in your avatar would be acceptable for club rego....has the decal, thus resembling a Sandman!!

keep kickin
    I'd like to think so, it's a Queensland built XX7 plated HZ ;)

I'd like to think so, it's a Queensland built XX7 plated HZ ;)
    Alien had "quoted" Big Rob!

Thread Information