Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandman Car Club Thread

Everyone raises some very valid points here. And there needs more discussion for sure.

I've looked into the Sandman Owners Club (vic), and they havent been active for close to 10 years......and thats the only ... "dedicated" ... Sandman club there is. The link to their website has been dead for quite some time now.

Now there are clubs for GTs, Hot Rods, HSVs, Skylines, Customlines etc etc all model specific clubs, but really, there isn't anything Sandman anymore. So now, or the near future, might be the time to fire up a Sandman Club, seeing as their popularity seems to be getting bigger of late.

Agree with 'interlinked but separate'. But also think it should be Sandman dedicated...otherwise, whats the point. There are numerous clubs out there that are happy to have mixed makes and models that could cater for non Sandman owners. A good mate of mine needed club rego on his Sandman and is spewing there isnt a Sandman club, so he joined ASRF.

I don't want to come off sounding all elitist saying it should be just Sandmans....i just dont see the point of starting another club with mixed models, when there are a good amount of them already around. Just my opinion. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 14-05-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    Everyone raises some very valid points here. And there needs more discussion for sure.

I've looked into the Sandman Owners Club (vic), and they havent been active for close to 10 years......and thats the only ... "dedicated" ... Sandman club there is. The link to their website has been dead for quite some time now.

Now there are clubs for GTs, Hot Rods, HSVs, Skylines, Customlines etc etc all model specific clubs, but really, there isn't anything Sandman anymore. So now, or the near future, might be the time to fire up a Sandman Club, seeing as their popularity seems to be getting bigger of late.

Agree with 'interlinked but separate'. But also think it should be Sandman dedicated...otherwise, whats the point. There are numerous clubs out there that are happy to have mixed makes and models that could cater for non Sandman owners. A good mate of mine needed club rego on his Sandman and is spewing there isnt a Sandman club, so he joined ASRF.

I don't want to come off sounding all elitist saying it should be just Sandmans....i just dont see the point of starting another club with mixed models, when there are a good amount of them already around. Just my opinion. Does that make sense?
    I agree it should be only sandman's (hq-hz utes or vans) ,but... wb sandy never was ,and anyone with a replica from 71 to 84 ute or van with a certain amount of likeness to a sandy could be involved? I'm pretty sure that I won't find the sandman ute I'm after but I would really like a ute to look as close as possible but a driver (efi,a/c,etc) and historic won't allow that but maybe sandman club could ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocko750 View Post
    I agree it should be only sandman's (hq-hz utes or vans) ,but... wb sandy never was ,and anyone with a replica from 71 to 84 ute or van with a certain amount of likeness to a sandy could be involved? I'm pretty sure that I won't find the sandman ute I'm after but I would really like a ute to look as close as possible but a driver (efi,a/c,etc) and historic won't allow that but maybe sandman club could ?
    Agree with keeping it limited to Sandman models and extending it replicas or HQ - HZ series utes and vans. If it were strictly Sandman models there would be issues with authenticity, especially extending to re-shells and not original chassis etc - too may varying opinions and views that are best avoided that's before entering into the late model HBD 'Sandman' debate. While these aren't eligible for club permits would they be eligible for membership? Would you allow membership to interested people or just owners?

A club wouldn't need (or necessarily want) to be centred around club permit schemes.

What would be the benefits to members other than club permits on eligible vehicles? Some thoughts below:-
    - Runs, meets, tours - fun stuff!
    - Perhaps could broker a deal with Byron with all his Sandman info online and make that available to members? Could be complimentary to the proposed book but if online it would be continually updated?
    - if the club gained credibility it could be able to issue authenticity (or in some cases probability) of Sandmans?
    - perhaps membership fees could assist in funding operating costs, and perhaps sponsoring this site

I would envisage that any input running the club would be voluntary.

Again would not want to detract from the forum, the users and advocates in any way- but if it were complimentary to this maybe it could work??

Jeza

Early days now...but here's my 2 cents

-Stock, modified & replica Sandman utes & vans. Anything that isn't or doesn't resemble a Sandman shouldn't qualify.
    -Allow the HBD vans...they were promoted as Sandmans. (Although that argument could be found in various threads)

-At this stage i would say a 2 part membership, a part for owners and another part for maybe a members. You don't want to turn people away from joining. What/if benefits would be for owners is up in the air.

-Runs,meets, tours etc etc
    -Byron could get a lifetime membership if he divulges all his findings.....but i don't think that will happen.
    -Maybe the authenticity part should be left on the forums. Just trying to keep that 'interlinked but separate' idea going.
    -Great idea re fees.

Yep, all voluntary. It would have to be a committed team effort for this to work properly.

If we just keep kicking this around we will come up with some good ideas and a solid platform. It seems most people that have contributed to this topic have good ideas, some do conflict a bit, but that's nothing we can't iron out.

So let's keep this running and see where it goes, it should be beneficial to everyone in some way.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

There is a process in Queensland for creating clubs (car clubs included). The Department of Fair Trade has a website with guidelines etc that may be of interest. I understand that you need seven members to create a club (I checked when a crazy thought to recreate the Holden Van Club came into my head a couple of years ago).
    This may be of interest . . http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/as...nonprofits.htm
    No doubt every state would have someting similar.

Watching this thread.

Last edited by Blocker; 15-05-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Sporting quite the haircut there Blocker

Thanks Buickzz...i'll have a better look at that later on when i get the time
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 15-05-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    Early days now...but here's my 2 cents

-Stock, modified & replica Sandman utes & vans. Anything that isn't or doesn't resemble a Sandman shouldn't qualify.
    -Allow the HBD vans...they were promoted as Sandmans. (Although that argument could be found in various threads)

-At this stage i would say a 2 part membership, a part for owners and another part for maybe a members. You don't want to turn people away from joining. What/if benefits would be for owners is up in the air.

-Runs,meets, tours etc etc
    -Byron could get a lifetime membership if he divulges all his findings.....but i don't think that will happen.
    -Maybe the authenticity part should be left on the forums. Just trying to keep that 'interlinked but separate' idea going.
    -Great idea re fees.

Yep, all voluntary. It would have to be a committed team effort for this to work properly.
    Putting in my 2c worth, membership would need to be open to anyone who wanted to join as there are alot of people who would want to be involved in a club for Sandmans, even if they didn't already own one. Club eligible vehicles would be restricted to HQ to HZ for club rego. The tricky part would be to decide if the club eligibility was to extend to all body styles of HQ to HZ or would only be for Sandman Vans and Utes, if kept to vans and utes whether replicas were eligible and therefore WBs would be eligible. These questions may be subject to either a general charter or a vote of members in quorum when the first meetings etc are arranged.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Looks like your 2cents and my 2cents might not agree on all points Dick, but that's cool, I'm sure we can work it out.

I agree that membership should be open to anyone interested in Sandmans. If that were not the case, the club would be restricting a lot of people that may be about to buy or have sold one. I for one don't currently own one, but I have some pretty serious plans for the not too distant future after selling some of my current collection.

Club rego should be for all members eligible vehicles (that's the whole point of forming a club). I'm not going to join a Sandman van/ute club that allows club rego for any body style of HQ-HZ, but doesn't allow my WB van!

But.... we do need to talk and that's what we are doing. As I said previously, if we keep kicking it around we will end up working it out.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information