Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help identifying HQ plates

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Byron, I recently saw a white HQ Sandman van. I went to Brisbane over Easter and on the way back we stopped at the service station at the top of Cuninghams gap for fuel and there was a white HQ van with GTS guards and blackouts parked at another bowser.... Naturally I wondered past for a sticky and asked the owner if it was a Sandman, he replied no its just a GTS van
    Yes GM-H built lot of GTS vans. WTF ??

Dr Terry

Sandman Guru
    I guess SS (try saying that fast without spraying!) van would be a closer term than GTS, as a HQ Sandman van had the same grille and seat treatment as SS. But according to Leo Pruneau the outcome of Bagshaw's round table meeting with vanners was they wanted "GTS from the seats forward and nothing done from there backwards" (so they could add murals and customise the rear). So I guess the beancounter's interpretation of that was what HQ Sandman ended up as. I guess Leo forgot all that when he came back from overseas in time to finish off the LX SS and did the HX Sandman as they made the HX stripes mandatory on Sandman (which many vanners of the day hated as they had to get them off, so much so with HZ they added a delete stripe option) and deleted the GTS guards so the Sandman logo sticker worked with the stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Did you get a chassis number? PSN/Body number is 8/74 but something is wrong as 39A trim is bucket seats only. Very unlikely to be a Sandman with a mistake on the trim code as it is missing XX7. Another HQ in a HJ colour.

39A is BROWN not chestnut.
    I did say that I was going by Leroy's interior codes page, and according to that 39A is Chestnut bench in Belmont HQ , http://gallery.oldholden.com/Mr_Jone...stnut/Belmont/

I have an HQ Prem which is 39R Chestnut bench seat 6 seater. I would love it to be BROWN not chestnut as chestnut vinyl is twice as expensive to get hold of as BROWN!
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Learner Driver
    The chassis no. Is EHQ69896B. Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

The VIN no. Is EHQ69896B. Cheers!

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhq74 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

This bit confuses nearly everyone. EHQ69896QB is the chassis number, not the VIN.

The number you quoted in your first post (8M70TDH326996Q) is the VIN as far as GM-H is concerned.

However in recent years (1989 onwards) a standard ISOVIN was introduced & nowadays most rego authorities use the chassis as the VIN identifier.

To keep it simple for our old cars, the number which is stamped into the chassis, which also appears on the compliance plate is the CHASSIS number & the number which appears on the skinny plate is the VIN.

Dr Terry

Learner Driver
    Cheers for all your replys guys!! She's still my most prized possession!!! It's windowless no vents gts dash and front bucket seat thanks

Learner Driver
    Not sure what happened there dr terry that vin bit wasn't meant to post cheers tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    Yes GM-H built lot of GTS vans. WTF ??

Dr Terry
    Yes I hear it all the time... So and so used to have a GTS ute or my uncle owned a GTS van.

Overheard a classic on Sunday at the Eugoura classic car and hot rod show.... Guy was looking at a XW GT and said to his mate "it isn't a genuine GT because it's an auto, Ford only made GT's in manual" ..... Was an older guy as well and I had to bite my tongue and walk away....
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhq74 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Fits beautifully with the rest of the numbers, so eitehr a mistake in seating capacity (should be 3 not 2) or it is a mistake in trim code (should be 39B instead of 39A).
    The way to know which is wrong is to look at the back of the tunnel for a little pressed steel bracket, basically between the (bucket) seats but to the rear. If that is there is is a bucket seat car as a seat separator was mandatory with buckets on that car. If it isn't it was a bench seat car.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Fits beautifully with the rest of the numbers, so eitehr a mistake in seating capacity (should be 3 not 2) or it is a mistake in trim code (should be 39B instead of 39A).
    The way to know which is wrong is to look at the back of the tunnel for a little pressed steel bracket, basically between the (bucket) seats but to the rear. If that is there is is a bucket seat car as a seat separator was mandatory with buckets on that car. If it isn't it was a bench seat car.
    Just a thought on the trim code and seating capacity, what was the code for buckets with the short console and column shift auto?
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Thread Information