Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Column shift to floor conversion

Learner Driver

Column shift to floor conversion

Anyone got a list of things I need to have to convert my WB 3 speed auto (column) to either manual or auto on the floor?

thanks

1. Complete car with a floor shift.

Theoretically, your old column can stay where it is. All you really need is a shifter mechanism and a hole in the floor. A rubber boot might help too. Is it 6cylinder?

Sandman Guru
    Console (new from Rares).
    Console brackets (from Rares).
    T-bar from a HQ-WB with trimatic (just make sure you get a rhight hand shift one) with shift rod attached.
    T-bar harness HJ-WB, will plug straight into your harness.
    Selector plate for side of the trimatic.

Just unbolt the pull rod from the column (1 x nut/screw) and the twist mechanism off the chassis rail (2 or 3 x bolts).
    The nut on the selector shaft of the trimatic will undo and pull off the C-shaped twist thingy, and put on the selector plate for the T-bar.

In theory you should buy a floor shift column and fasica and remove the selector indicator off the dash but you can leave it there if you like.

Plus replace the bench seat with buckets if it has a bench. If it has buckets it will have a seat separator, and you leave the rear brackst for it just remove the front one, and then you just need the front bracket for the console (it will use the seat separator's rear bracket).

Learner Driver
    Hi mate, I'm doing one now, do you know the correct position to cut the floor for the shift shaft to come through?
    Hargs

Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    1. Complete car with a floor shift.

Theoretically, your old column can stay where it is. All you really need is a shifter mechanism and a hole in the floor. A rubber boot might help too. Is it 6cylinder?
    I agree here with playwme.

I have done this and had a whole car, a Statesman, sitting next to the van at the time.
    I still have the collar from the 3 speed manual column shift, still on the steering column. Just removed the lever.

There is a difference between a manual brake pedal to that of an auto, as I found out first hand. Slightly different angle which does not operate brake booster adequately. That's going from Manual to auto, not sure if that's the way you are going.

leave it on the column! heaps more authentic and ability to carry peeps on the bench
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    leave it on the column! heaps more authentic and ability to carry peeps on the bench
    That's an idea, don't know if it suits your situation though.
    Now I have a second little young child, I'm tossing up to put back to column manual and dumping the VX SS leather seats and going a bench again. Lucky I still have the centre lap belt in there under the console if I take the plunge.

Banned
    You can still have floor shift manual and a bench seat. Just need the shifter with the bend in it.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hargs View Post
    Hi mate, I'm doing one now, do you know the correct position to cut the floor for the shift shaft to come through?
    Hargs
    Make a template off another car, and cut it exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maysik View Post
    I agree here with playwme.

I have done this and had a whole car, a Statesman, sitting next to the van at the time.
    I still have the collar from the 3 speed manual column shift, still on the steering column. Just removed the lever.

There is a difference between a manual brake pedal to that of an auto, as I found out first hand. Slightly different angle which does not operate brake booster adequately. That's going from Manual to auto, not sure if that's the way you are going.
    In my experience brake pedals are the same with regards to the booster for auto and manual with the same booster. What you've probably had is different boosters on the 2 x cars.

I think you will find that the pad/plate on the auto brake pedal is wider. Apart from that they should be the same.

Thread Information