Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to get my panel van licensed to carry 2 passengers in the back

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I want to get my panel van licensed to carry 2 passengers in the back

I've seen a couple of Holden Sandmans with seats and seatbelts in the back, so i wanted to set mine up so i can legally carry people in the back. Any experiences out there with this?

Find yourself a qualified engineer that is RTA approved. Explain what you want and have some supporting facts for the engineer. Like comparable legally registered cars. Maybe a EA Falcon Station Wagon dickie seat or similar.
    Without comparisons you'll be wasting your time. You need to go loaded with info and facts.

Yep, as Innuendo says, you need to be well prepared.
    The big challenge is providing adequate access for entry and exit for the rear passengers. You would need to fit front seats that tilt forward like those from a Monaro. The other issue is seat belt anchoring points and rear seat mounts.

It's a far bigger job than it first appears.

Good luck.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thanks guys, i have spoken with an official engineer on the recommended list by Vicroads and he didn't fall off his seat laughing at the idea so it might have merit. I agree this might be a stretch but i guess if you don't ask you wont know. Wish we could go back to the good old days of piling 10 people in the back and driving around with everyone hanging out the tailgate!

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    Wish we could go back to the good old days of piling 10 people in the back and driving around with everyone hanging out the tailgate!
    We'd also go back to the days when the road toll was 4x what it is today with half the population.

I from those days they were fun, piling 5 in the back of my mates panel van and off to the drive inn. Ahhhh the good old days. Life was easy and simple.

Banned
    The year before I started at Orange Ag a ute was driving around campus full of people in the back. They stacked it into a tree. One person killed. Fun days.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    The year before I started at Orange Ag a ute was driving around campus full of people in the back. They stacked it into a tree. One person killed. Fun days.
    Don't misunderstand me, it was just to get into the drive inn. If that's your choice to jump in the back of a ute then it's a choice you make. it sad to hear that. But time to take responsibility for the actions that you take in your life. I know this might sound harsh but it's a choice that's made at the time.

Interesting comments. I have some strong views around road rules and they lean heavily towards anti nanny state, however i understand that groups of unrestrained people in the back of vehicles will generally lead to more deaths. How about this question...with all the extra rules, fines, cameras, air bags, anti collision systems, RBT's, advertising campaigns and lowered speed limits, have we actually made much difference at all?

If you look at all of the road deaths in Australia between 1989 and 2013 we seem to have saved an extra 100 or so people each year even with a growing population. With all that effort, are we actually getting value for money?

Road Fatalities 1989 - 2013.jpg

Banned
    Well, to be fair expand that graph back to 1950. No really great advancements since 89. ABS and airbags.

As for speed cameras, they are a waste of time. Camera cars are worse.

The age when kids start to drive should be 10. Not on the road but in a controlled environment. Earlier exposure to driving will lead to better drivers.

RBT? No way I want to share the road with drunk drivers. They are a good thing.

Thread Information