Thread: 304 EFI not running

304 EFI not running

Hello... I'm after some diagnostic help please.

I've fitted a 304 efi to my HZ and it has been on the road for about 6 months and has been going fine.

After too many sunburnt right arms I decide to fit air con, so I purchased a "bolt on kit" and fitted it and when I went to fire it up the engine nearly started but was running pretty crook. Heaps of smoke and smelt like heaps of fuel then stopped.

It's most likely something that I've PG13ed with but would appreciate any suggestions.

I have removed the plugs and have spark at each plug as I wind it over and as above seem to have plenty of fuel.. so I'm thinking it's one of the sensors???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Hello... I'm after some diagnostic help please.

I've fitted a 304 efi to my HZ and it has been on the road for about 6 months and has been going fine.

After too many sunburnt right arms I decide to fit air con, so I purchased a "bolt on kit" and fitted it and when I went to fire it up the engine nearly started but was running pretty crook. Heaps of smoke and smelt like heaps of fuel then stopped.

It's most likely something that I've PG13ed with but would appreciate any suggestions.

I have removed the plugs and have spark at each plug as I wind it over and as above seem to have plenty of fuel.. so I'm thinking it's one of the sensors???

Thanks
    Got a diagnostic light set up on it or do you need to plug into the ALDL to check for stored codes? If so, what code/s is it spitting out?

Usual basic stuff, check your earths, battery voltage, that you haven't connected a couple of sensor wires rrr's about or stuck a screw through a wiring harness etc etc. Was it black smoke (fuel)? You didn't have a rag on or get oil all over the distributor module (silver box usually but there are different brands about these days)? Clean throttle body/idle air control motor passage?

You might need to bump up the base idle screw a 1/4 turn or so to help "facilitate" the ECM learning process for the A/C for a couple of says running, then reset it back to specs afterwards.
    Nunc est bibendum...

I have set up the check engine light in the dash but don't know how to check codes...how do I check codes?? It was black smoke (yes fuel?).

Fairly happy I have checked the basics... I have the plugs out and have spark at each plug..

The silver box (if you mean the ignition module) has been replaced. I'm wondering how the other sensors effect idling and running i.e. maf, map, tps, and the other one at the throttle body???

Leadfoot
    I run 2 of these in my Q and Z. The symptom you describe is a usually a coolant temp sensor problem.
    Poor or open circuit cts signal will blow black smoke and make it run V poor and foul plugs .
    Check the cts connector under the throttle body the one with 2 wires the other does not talk to the pcm.
    Can you use a multi meter. If so check the resistance values of the sender both from the wires and from the pins (to find a connector problem ).
    Hope this helps

Thanks heaps for pointing me in the right direction utevanwgn, I found the wires to this temp sensor were brittle and when I played with it a wire had actually broken, fixed it up and it's running sweet. As I said in the first post it would be something I have played with.
    I had actually extend the ignition module harness to shift it out the way and thought I had crossed some wires but had checked that about twenty times so needed to check elsewhere.

Thanks again.

Leadfoot
    Efi problems are 99.9% wiring issues.
    Knowing what causes what can be paralleled with conventional systems.
    The temp sender has a big role to play with cold start conditions just like a stuck choke therefore the same symptoms.
    Glad I could help.

Thread Information