Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: please help hq sandman???

Learner Driver
    Did this turn out to be a sandman?

Well ..
    Have you ever seen the movie called " The Nugget" what a great Australian movie.
    If you haven't look it up grab it watch it .
    That car would give me that feeling of stumbling across the Nugget ...what a brilliant story.

P Plater
    This thread is very interesting. Does anyone know what the outcome was??

I too have just stumbled upon a HQ windowless van.......well just before Christmas actually. It's paid for and the transport is paid for just waiting, and waiting, and waiting for it to get picked up. Seriously doing my head in this waiting. The van is about 1500k from me and has lived in one of the driest parts of Aus all its life - body looks to be in seriously good nic with zero visible rust anywhere. Super excited bout getting it home. In hindsight I should have just gone picked it up myself but it's paid for now so the waiting continues.

Ok, this van ticks every single Sandman box for HQ that I am aware of, tag info is -
    Model 80270
    Build date 1/74
    Seat capacity 2
    GVW 4850 lbs
    Trim 39B
    Paint 13134 Glacier White
    R on vin for 253
    Trans M20
    Sydney build

Tags match chassis and have had firewall body stamp checked out and it's the correct body for the chassis and tags. The van has a GTS dash in it and a 202 red motor, very similar to the van in this thread. Missing are the console, buckets, 253/4speed and front clip. Looks like another van raped of its goodies for a ute or Monaro build, at least that is what I am hoping. An accident would explain the clip missing but not the interior so i am hoping that the front end was wanted for its GTS guards - fingers crossed.

From the pics I have it looks amazingly straight and I can't see a spec of rust on it anywhere. It's been parked up in a shed for the last 12 years and the old owner bought it as it sits now 25 years ago so he is no help re its history.

So, I shall be checking for console mounts first thing when it eventually bloody shows up and will post some pics when I get it. Pretty sure I'm going to flip it not build it regardless of Sandman or not - but not certain. I'm moving to S.A in June - a drama with a half finished van. Anyway....

If anyone can tell me anything else I should be looking for to authenticate I'd be much obliged. Also, is 39B trim chestnut? I think I learnt on here that for a HQ van to be a possible Sandman it must bare trim suffix B? Also, this van has a full ceiling lining. I'm informed that the HQ Sandman van never was optioned with a full hood lining so it's not a deal breaker as it is in the J,X,Z range. Is this right? Could you even get a full hood lining in the HQ range and if you could was it fixed with the 'shark teeth' as in the later models?

Hope this is ok to post here. Couldn't see the point in starting another thread that will only generate 5 replies or so. My van is eerily similar to the one in this thread so thought it would be OK to tag it on the end of this one.

Would love to know what became of this van.

Cheers all.
    Last edited by Rockape; 05-02-2019 at 04:01 AM.

39B = Brown.
    No full length roof lining in HQ and no option for it.

Keeping or selling (flip) you want a HHS Report for conformation and easy proof/increased value for selling.
    Send the info and ask Ben. He won't even charge you unless you want the certificate (which you do if it's a Sandman).

Looking forward to seeing the pictures when it arrives. Hope it's everything you wish!
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

P Plater
    image.jpeg

Here comes ICEQUBE woohoo

If you flip I would be interested

Thread Information