Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chassis numbers

Chassis numbers

Had a look at a van the other day and the chassis numbers had been re stamped but ended with a P. Is this a police stamp? Also noticed the original stamp and you can make out the first letter which is R, can any one tell me what year van from HQ-HZ would have started with an R please?

The original chassis number wouldn't have started with R, it is probably B which would mean the first ADR upgrade or change since the start of production of that particular model.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Sandman Guru
    It can finish with an R but it'll be on the ADR plate too.

Police numbers look like:

sxxyyyyP

Where the s is the State so N, V, Q. The xx is the year eg 93. yyyy is a 4 digit number and P means Police.

Great that explains it well thanks. The old B looked like an R because they attempted to stamp the first letter V over B so it looked allot like the tail on an R. Then they moved about 20mm further along the chassis and started again. The tags are missing so is there any chance of tracing what model this was off the new numbers at all? Would the RTA have it recorded at all?

Banned
    It's not HX because they didn't get to a B prefix. So if it has RTS it's either
    HZ or WB. WB has rounded tips on the front end of the rails. No RTS then it's Q or J.
    You have to consider that back in the day sometimes people would pick the front half of the chassis out and fit a sedan subframe in. If you look at a chassis you can see where they joined the two in the factory.
    So you can call it whatever series van you like. No tags and a police number is now its identity. Go to town with it and make a mad street machine.
    Last edited by wbute; 02-04-2014 at 08:55 PM.

I didnt realize they had rounded tips on the front end of the rails on HZ-WB. I learn something new on here every day! Is there any easy way to tell if it has RTS?

Banned
    Only WB is different. Now I can't remember if WB was rounded or cut off. Either way they are different to the earlier ones.
    RTS have the top shock mount center of the control arm mount. Non RTS have it rear of center.

Sandman Guru
    WB noses are lopped off. HX from 6/77 have the same suspension geometry as HZ and WB. I think HX passenger vehicles got a BHX prefix but commercials stayed as AHX.

Why are the chassis rails lopped off on a WB?
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Banned
    Might have been because of the different bumper but I don't really know. I think the bumper mounting holes are different too.
    Weight reduction for quicker quarter mile times....

Thread Information