Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HX XX7 Find

P Plater

HX XX7 Find

Hi all. I haven't been very active on the whole van front over the last 6 months but I stumbled upon a Van recently that I am very interested in but I really need some questions answered from people in the know so I thought this would be the place to ask.

On a job site in FNQ a few months ago I was working away when the old cane cocky came home for smoko. He was a real card and we were shooting the breeze and I asked him my standard 'do you know where there are any old Holdens sitting' question that I ask everyone I meet. To my surprise he said yes and led me to his shed where in the back corner a big, orange object sat, covered in dust.

HX XX7 plated windowless van. Valencia ( I think ) with brown interior. GTS guards, hotwire wheels were the first noticeable oddities, and no decals. All no big deal. Factory 253, 4 speed.

Van has tiny rust patches noticeable in windscreen cowls and rear quarters but very minimal. Is very straight, been stored under cover all it's life supposedly, and remarkably it is still registered but not seen the road for many years. Upon opening the bonnet things really got interesting.......

Crammed into the engine bay is a 427 Chev. It has power steer and air, linked to a TH400 and then to a 9 inch diff. Has a huge desert rat alloy radiator and of course a mod plate as it is registered with that drive line.

The son of the old cocky came home and told me a bit about it. He built it himself. He is a hell of a nice fella, but not typically someone I would have thought to be hording a Sandman Van. His property and all plant was immaculate and very well maintained, so I believe no corners would have been cut on the build, he just seems like that sort of operator.

To top it off, he still has the original 253 and 4 speed, and the ten bolt, and a complete twin headlight front including a bonnet without a huge hole cut out of it.

What I want to know mainly is what $ the 427, box and 9 inch would be worth, as a package, assuming they are all in excellent condition. I can not remember what k's he said they had done but I will find out. If I could potentially get some reasonable money for the drive train, the van would be a good get I think at the 14k he wants for the lot.

Thanks in advance for any info. Go Hawks

Sandman Driver
    Good one, just goes to show there still out there(you will need to get all original gear with it if possible) $14000?? you have to change it all back over and if its in need of rust repair and paint???

Be interesting to see this one.
    I know of an Orange Sandman with BB and 9" that has been doing the rounds.
    Although it was fitted with a Sunroof so likely a different car.

Go the Illawarra NBL Hawks!

So it's registered with a 427 and 9 inch, which you want to remove in favour of a 253 and Salisbury?

No offense, but what the hell are you thinking?

Sandman Guru
    Leave the 427 in it. It will always be worth more than a 253. If you do get it get me the casting numbers off the block and the engine number and i'll tell you what it was from.

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    So it's registered with a 427 and 9 inch, which you want to remove in favour of a 253 and Salisbury?

No offense, but what the hell are you thinking?
    Very fair question mate. Simply, it is all about $ for me. I want it NOW and don't want to have to flog off any of my toys to get it. And also I like originality, but we are all different.

Positive side of things is it's there and not going anywhere and old mate couldn't care less if it sits there forever so I guess there is no real rush. I just wanty! I'm sure you know what it's like.

None taken.

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Leave the 427 in it. It will always be worth more than a 253. If you do get it get me the casting numbers off the block and the engine number and i'll tell you what it was from.
    Cheers mate. He did dell me but I forget. Camaro I think.

Banned
    Probably Papaya being a HX. Bet the chassis is not enjoying that truck motor in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
    there is no real rush. I just wanty! I'm sure you know what it's like.
    Unfortunately for the wife, I do know what that's like.
    Except for the no real rush part. I mean, it's not like I keep a 3 tonne truck with winch and ramps in the middle of the city just in case a bargain comes up...... No, wait. I totally do.

Never mind me, carry on.

I find it extremely hard to believe that a HX Holden is legally registered with a 427 in Queensland. Did you check what is written on the mod plate as to what mods have been approved?

Doesn't matter if you intend returning it to stock running gear but if you intended leaving the current engine in it I would be making a phone call to Qld Transport.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information