Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HX XX7 Find

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    P Plater

HX XX7 Find

Hi all. I haven't been very active on the whole van front over the last 6 months but I stumbled upon a Van recently that I am very interested in but I really need some questions answered from people in the know so I thought this would be the place to ask.

On a job site in FNQ a few months ago I was working away when the old cane cocky came home for smoko. He was a real card and we were shooting the breeze and I asked him my standard 'do you know where there are any old Holdens sitting' question that I ask everyone I meet. To my surprise he said yes and led me to his shed where in the back corner a big, orange object sat, covered in dust.

HX XX7 plated windowless van. Valencia ( I think ) with brown interior. GTS guards, hotwire wheels were the first noticeable oddities, and no decals. All no big deal. Factory 253, 4 speed.

Van has tiny rust patches noticeable in windscreen cowls and rear quarters but very minimal. Is very straight, been stored under cover all it's life supposedly, and remarkably it is still registered but not seen the road for many years. Upon opening the bonnet things really got interesting.......

Crammed into the engine bay is a 427 Chev. It has power steer and air, linked to a TH400 and then to a 9 inch diff. Has a huge desert rat alloy radiator and of course a mod plate as it is registered with that drive line.

The son of the old cocky came home and told me a bit about it. He built it himself. He is a hell of a nice fella, but not typically someone I would have thought to be hording a Sandman Van. His property and all plant was immaculate and very well maintained, so I believe no corners would have been cut on the build, he just seems like that sort of operator.

To top it off, he still has the original 253 and 4 speed, and the ten bolt, and a complete twin headlight front including a bonnet without a huge hole cut out of it.

What I want to know mainly is what $ the 427, box and 9 inch would be worth, as a package, assuming they are all in excellent condition. I can not remember what k's he said they had done but I will find out. If I could potentially get some reasonable money for the drive train, the van would be a good get I think at the 14k he wants for the lot.

Thanks in advance for any info. Go Hawks

Sandman Driver
    Good one, just goes to show there still out there(you will need to get all original gear with it if possible) $14000?? you have to change it all back over and if its in need of rust repair and paint???

Learner Driver
    Mate if you decide not to go for it please let me know as I'm after a HX to restore, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HX Hunter View Post
    Mate if you decide not to go for it please let me know as I'm after a HX to restore, thanks
    Thought you were after a ute?

Learner Driver
    Either but prefer a ute

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by HX Hunter View Post
    Seems like ok value to me if you want a look.

Probably a bit of work, but hey..... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-HX...item19eab98da4

Quote Originally Posted by Flamenco_not_Flamingo View Post
    Seems like ok value to me if you want a look.

Probably a bit of work, but hey..... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-HX...item19eab98da4
    Did you the hq van beside it in the second photo

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcoffee View Post
    Did you the hq van beside it in the second photo
    Yeah I did see the quecumber but he says its not for sale. Guess he was getting ready for the barrage of " is the HQ for sale " questions lol

Be interesting to see this one.
    I know of an Orange Sandman with BB and 9" that has been doing the rounds.
    Although it was fitted with a Sunroof so likely a different car.

Go the Illawarra NBL Hawks!

So it's registered with a 427 and 9 inch, which you want to remove in favour of a 253 and Salisbury?

No offense, but what the hell are you thinking?

Thread Information