Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic rego

Historic rego

There is a car club in Parkes called the central west car club which is for all cars which has members with panel vans and we go to a few van things
    Club member have access to historic rego etc if this of interest to you
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Learner Driver
    Yes it is,how does Club Membership work

Wisey you first need to be a club member which is not difficult but an existing club member needs to sponsor you application so it would be best if you were to come on a club run or two so that you become known to some club member
    Family membership is $45 and single $35 per year plus $5 for the first year which gets you a club shirt
    For historic rego you need A pink slip and the club register has to inspect the vehicle to check that it meets the RTA requirements being reasonable original with period modifications and safety modifications
    The cost for historic rego is $90 something for the first year including purchase of your number plate and $50 something for following years which includes your green slip insurance
    To maintain you rego through the club we like member to participate in at least three outings either meetings ,outings ,runs or show and shines
    Hope this helps give me you email address and I will send you minutes from the last meeting
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Banned
    What conditions apply to the rego?

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by RodneyHZ253 View Post
    For historic rego you need A pink slip and the club register has to inspect the vehicle to check that it meets the RTA requirements being reasonable original with period modifications and safety modifications
    I know I'm getting a little pedantic here, but this is one of my 'hobby horses'. The RTA's wording for historic rego is 'period accessories' not 'period modifications'.

The big question of course, is when does an accessory become a modification ? Things like radial-ply tyres, blinkers (pre-1960) & seatbelts are considered safety items & are exempt, as long as they're fitted properly.

Things like white-wall tyres, radios, sun visors, towbars, spats, mudflaps, chrome rocker covers, period alloy wheels etc. etc. are all clear cut, as long as they are RTA legal. But multiple carbies, lowered or raised suspension, wide wheels & tyres (over track), engine & transmission swaps are getting beyond the definition of an accessory.

Period paint colours are also a curly one, many clubs would not except an EH (for example) painted coarse metal-flake purple. Not really 'period correct' is it.

I inspect a lot of these cars & one rule that is very strictly upheld is: if it wasn't legal back then (say 1975) then it's not legal today on H plates. 8 & 10 inch alloy wheels & dumped suspension on mid-70s vehicles are good examples.

There is a lot of room here for interpretation & debate.

Dr Terry

Banned
    So what about a 5 post bullbar? Are 84 model cars elligible yet? Do 8 inch wheels illuminate it as well? Bucket seats fitted in place of bench seat? I bet my WB won't qualify.
    Perhaps they need a limited usage rego as well as club. Not everyone can commit to a clubs requirements.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    So what about a 5 post bullbar? Are 84 model cars elligible yet? Do 8 inch wheels illuminate it as well? Bucket seats fitted in place of bench seat? I bet my WB won't qualify.
    Perhaps they need a limited usage rego as well as club. Not everyone can commit to a clubs requirements.
    They're not 'club requirements', they're RTA requirements. The RTA made the rules & then left it to the clubs to self regulate, often very successfully, sometimes not so. Sometimes the clubs are slack, but in other cases it's just the car owner who abuses the system.

A 1984 car would be OK, all they say is that the car must be at least 30 years old. As of today that makes any car built Mar 84 or earlier eligible.

When you say "Do 8 inch wheels illuminate it as well?", do you mean "eliminate it" ? If so, 8-inch wheel are usually not acceptable because it makes the track too wide. If the track dimension is still within specs (factory plus 1-inch) then they're street legal & therefore acceptable. If the track is too wide it is not legal even on normal rego, it's a defect.

Not sure on the 5-post bullbar, as long as it is period correct for 1984 (you can show magazine adverts from the era, to prove your case) & it is RTA legal, then fine it's in.

Bucket seats in a WB, would be no problems if they are WB Kingswood buckets mounted in the factory fashion. If they're differently trimmed or look radically different to the factory seats, that's up to the club to determine if they are acceptable as a 'period accessory'. If they're mounted badly then that's an RTA issue, so no go.

The idea of a 'limited use' rego for legally modified cars over 30 years old in NSW, similar to what exists in other states, is currently under discussion as I understand it.

One of the hurdles is who 'polices' or inspects said modifications & when do they need engineering certification etc. etc.

Another issue is misuse of the system, which I believe is becoming a problem in Victoria.

Dr Terry
    Last edited by Dr Terry; 20-03-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Banned
    The wheels would increase track too much I guess. They are Road Rebels and are the same as everyone fitted in the day. As far as I know most 8 inch period wheels would increase track too much? I would rather that than the current issue of miss-informed people fitting Commodore wheels to HQ stud pattern though. I know that's irrelevant as far as RTA decisions on track increase go though.
    The bucket seat thing..... They are Commodore seats but I have made a threaded plate to fit them so I didn't butcher the floor.
    Oh this is why I hate the club rego thing. I want my ute how I want it. Not how some pencil pusher thinks it should be. So it stays unregistered.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    The wheels would increase track too much I guess. They are Road Rebels and are the same as everyone fitted in the day. As far as I know most 8 inch period wheels would increase track too much? I would rather that than the current issue of miss-informed people fitting Commodore wheels to HQ stud pattern though. I know that's irrelevant as far as RTA decisions on track increase go though.
    The bucket seat thing..... They are Commodore seats but I have made a threaded plate to fit them so I didn't butcher the floor.
    Oh this is why I hate the club rego thing. I want my ute how I want it. Not how some pencil pusher thinks it should be. So it stays unregistered.
    I don't think you grasp the whole thing, it's not what 'some pencil pusher' decides, it's whether it is legally safe or not. If your threaded plate set-up is acceptable for rego, I see no reason why Commodore seats wouldn't be OK.

I agree that slightly over track is nowhere near as dangerous as Commodore rims on a WB, but it is the tape measure which tells the story. If you get a smart copper & his book says xxxx mm is the maximum track for your car & you're 5 or 10 mm over that you can get a canary, but how likely is that ? 7 or 8-inch rims look OK on HQ to HZ as long as it's not dumped.

Dr Terry
    Last edited by Dr Terry; 20-03-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Banned
    No I get the reasoning. Laws are laws. I just wonder about being tied to a club and their interpretations. Cheap rego for an old car rarely driven is what I want. Not really interested in the club part.

Thread Information