Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Historic rego

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    No it's not the same as concessional machinery rego. They don't have compliance plates. Hence they can't have full road rego. You can't get concessional rego for a farm ute for example that has a compliance plate. Only full rego. Which is a pain if you have two properties a few km apart and an old farm ute.
    Headers had all sorts of issues because the RTA declared they had to have working brake lights. Not possible as they are hydrostatic drive. No brake pedal. They eventually came to their senses on that.
    I still think it should be eased up. No club affiliation and cheaper rego for cars over 30 years old. No one is going to go back to a 30 year old car for a daily driver.
    As I said, similar in the way that it is not proper rego, just a permit to go from a to b.
    You're taking my words too literally. It's the concessional part that is the same, in that it is restricted use, concessional in cost, but legal rego. Same application form, same sequential plate numbering system, just different in the way that use is allowed. In a legal & insurance sense it has the same standing as full rego, as long as you're driving within the rules. The old 'permit to move' scheme however, was a legal minefield.

All cars pre-1970 have no compliance plates either, & the vast majority of H-plated cars would be pre-1970.

You say that no one is going to use a 30 year old car as a daily driver. Sadly that's the biggest form of system abuse. There have been many instances of people driving things like EHs & old Valiants etc. to work every day on H-plates. There was one instance where a guy on the Central Coast drove a H-plated Morris Minor to school every day on P-plates!! He was even parking it out the front of the school grounds, in plain sight, all day, in 'No parking' zones & getting several parking tickets before it was picked up.

Dr Terry

Banned
    I suppose i meant dole bludgers are not going to buy 30 year old cars. Maybe they would. Who knows.
    Anyhow, we will forever be ripped off for rego in NSW no doubt.

I've seen Wanted ads where the guy is looking for a Hiace/Econovan to haul his dirtbike in. "Prefer 1983 or earlier so I can put it on historic rego."

As soon as something becomes concessional, people will try to rort it. That's when the scheme gets severely restricted or scrapped altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Anyhow, we will forever be ripped off for rego in NSW no doubt.
    aren't you what!!! My Landcruiser and work trailer were up for rego this month so I went down to the RTA to see about transferring the Vic rego to NSW...... Stuff that... Have to get full roadworthy (blue slip?) on both and the inspection guy wanted both for the day. Then I find out it's going to be over $1000 to register the Cruiser.... As I said... Stuff that... So I went online and paid to renew the Vic rego.... $661.50 for the Cruiser and $47.60 for the trailer including CTP.

I won't go into the shitfight I had trying to transfer my drivers license from Vic to NSW but it took three trips back to the RTA to do it.... And lost four years off the expiry date as NSW only do a maximum five year license.

transferring rego and license from Qld to Vic when we moved to Melbourne was a piece of cake and took about 20 minutes.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Just be warned. If your Vic rego car is spotted for more than 30 days in the same place (in NSW) you are likely to be pulled over and warned. If the copper is an ar$ehole you could be booked for unregistered and uninsured and that equates to around $1200 in fines and your car is off the road. Because basically you are rorting the system. Yep NSW costs are high and even ridiculous compared to other states but the law is the law.
    Last edited by Innuendo; 26-03-2014 at 12:43 AM.

We get 4 months grace if you bring a car from interstate here in W.A. then you have to licence it here

Would appear New South Wales gives 3 months grace so long as you don't fall under certain guidelines.
    Can establish a garage address (where the vehicle is normally kept when not in use) for the vehicle in NSW.
    Is enrolled to vote on the NSW electoral roll.
    Is a NSW resident for tax purposes.
    Has been in NSW for more than 3 months.
    Has a NSW driver licence.
    http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registrati...evehicles.html
    Last edited by Innuendo; 26-03-2014 at 01:40 AM.

Changing from NSW to QLD was very easy to do, car inspection and a trip to the rego office. Licence and rego changed straight away.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Changing from NSW to QLD was very easy to do, car inspection and a trip to the rego office. Licence and rego changed straight away.
    To my knowledge that's how all states operate unless the car is modified. I've found there to be a lot more drama, if the car is modified.

Doesn't Qld have mod plates for modified cars. How does that work when you bring a modified car from Vic or NSW ?

Dr Terry

Thread Information