Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB Sandman Shell

WTB Sandman Shell

I know this is a very long shot, (dont roll around laughing) but I am after a sandman panelvan shell as I need to replace a badly rusted roof on a van. I would prefer a windowless but know beggars cant be choosers. If you have a toasted van with a good roof that you would like to sell can you please let me know. Thanks in advance!

So does it have to be a Sandman shell, or just a good van shell?
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Big Rob, I would prefer sandman so it can have full roof lining.

OK, but you can get the installation kit for a headliner from Stickthis if you use a standard roof.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

i think HX kinga had full lining as standard?
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    i think HX kinga had full lining as standard?
    So did HZ

Sandman Driver
    Yeah, I need a full van roof too, but Im not gonna be cutting up a Sandman to get it. Any end life hq - wb will do me... or so I thought untill I read this post;

I dont understand, why does it need to be from a van which previously had a rooflining to refit the roof lining??

The strip of factory welded tabs to hold the roof lining at the back run just above the top tailgate. They are on the inside of the upper back panel, not attatched to the roof peice.

As I understood it, (or maybe misunderstood it) the rest of the roof lining components (basically just the stays and the lining itself) will fit on any van... or did some not have that strip of steel that runs horizontally internally of the roof seams - just inside the frame on each side of the van section?

I havent actually taken one apart yet, hope I'm not missing somthing here.....

Banned
    Just cut the bits out of your rusty roof and weld them into any van roof. But honestly, if you found a better shell why not save all the hassle and just use it?? They are not works of art by Rembrandt. They are just a Holden panelvan.

Sandman Guru
    They are all different too if you are talking Sandman vans. HQ have no rear headlining. HJ side strips are different to HX to WB. You cannot easily retrofit the side strips to look original. Plus if you look closely Elizabeth and Acacia Ridge van shells do have minor differences with how they are put together.
    So in response to the original question buy a HX or HZ Kingswood van from the same body plant as yours if you have a HX or HZ. If it is a HJ then you need a Sandman shell to get the bits you need. Take photos of what you are doing too to prove it isn't a reshell or there is little point wasting time and $ on a resto.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    They are all different too if you are talking Sandman vans. HQ have no rear headlining. HJ side strips are different to HX to WB. You cannot easily retrofit the side strips to look original. Plus if you look closely Elizabeth and Acacia Ridge van shells do have minor differences with how they are put together.
    So in response to the original question buy a HX or HZ Kingswood van from the same body plant as yours if you have a HX or HZ. If it is a HJ then you need a Sandman shell to get the bits you need. Take photos of what you are doing too to prove it isn't a reshell or there is little point wasting time and $ on a resto.

so you're replacing half the van to 'keep the shell original'

i'd take a rebody using a rust free body any day of the week. I'm also guessing if ur replacing the roof the the rest of the van isn't perfect either

replacing a roof most likely will not be a cake walk
    BQZ

Thread Information