Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: south african hq sandman ? any one heard of this ?

south african hq sandman ? any one heard of this ?

i went to a customers house today and saw out the back a old holden van [under a tattered cover], so i was curious and the owner told me it was one of only 4 made by gmh for the south african market, he said it was factory fitted with chev 400 and 4 speed, had the extra window in the rear [factory fitted] with a large factory fitted sliding sunroof. so i asked him if i could take some pics and do a little research as this van had me curious. the fire wall was totally different to take larger engine, ralley wheels, gts dash - tacho [woodgrain finish] full hood lining, and twin head light radiator support panel were all still in place.

i have a few pics but having trouble uploading them :( . happy to email them to some one tech capable of uploading - either me or my pc are too old

the pics of the tags didnt come out the best, as a couple of resprays covers them. but most numbers on close inspection still visible, the motor and gear box were missing when he got the van.

OR

is this some ones collection of odd bits built to be different back in the day!

mark

Sandman Guru
    Mark

Email me the photos, i'll check them out and post them up here.

holden @ monaroparts dot com

Sounds like a myth to me! What model Sandman.... HQ, HJ, HX or HZ. Holden didn't use a 400 Chev in any Aussie cars so I doubt they got them in special for SA export. Sliding sunroof is not factory, these were aftermarket fitment done by a company in Sydney.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Sandman Guru
    I got the photos, it is an 8/72 Dandenong assembled HQ V8 2 seat van in Royal Purple with black trim. Firewall isn't original, looks like it has had a V12 Merlin in it!

It won't be a "built for SA" car as it has an ADR tag, but Mark unfortunately didn't get the VIN number so I can't get it looked up yet. Photos are huge, and not a lot to see but i'll see if I can get a decent size of the firewall photo and post it up.

HJ's were meant to be fitted with a 400 in very early stage as this engine was to be standard in Caprice, but only HQ's had them fitted afaik but never left GMH with one except possibly the 350Z when sold.

Yep, didn't read the title properly as it states HQ..... 8/72 so not Sandman anyway. Be a nice one to restore though and whack in a 350 with T700...

Sandman Guru

Thumbs up

I've misunderstood, Mark is in South Australia I think. Van was regoed in South Australia in 2008 with a 253 in it. Firewall has trimatic or aussie box speedo cable. Side windows aren't GMH fitted either.

Lot of work to bring this one back from the brink. Whole new firewall and floor, side panels, roof panel.

Damn photo uploader is broken, took 30 minutes to upload 3 x tiny photos, had to force a log-off three times to get explorer to respond and CPU shot to 80%+.

Side.JPGFirewall.JPGSunroof.JPG

I don't know, interior looks pretty well done and its not a Sandman.... I'd leave the windows in and the sunroof, would make a cool retro custom. A bit of work in the firewall and floor but plenty of donor cars still around.

Sandman Guru
    Just depends on how the sunroof was done, might be a dogs breakfast. But if cheap enough it is worth it for the diff, wheels, dash etc.

Anyone else spot the coupe in the background?

The poor van, it has either been started and stopped at bare metal or does that remaining paint on the rear quarter look burnt?

Needs saving!
    Nunc est bibendum...

Leadfoot
    Be curious to know what sort of engine was used. Accelerator linkage needs some work.

Thread Information