Thread: Black HJ Sandman

Black HJ Sandman

Anyone one know how may Black hj sandman's where made. i have heard there was 70 all up some HJ's and a few HX's I've got a XX7 HJ with all the right bits and its orig color was tuxido black. I've had this van since i was 16. when I got it was black and in very sad condition and as best i could tell it was the original paint, after the reso it ended up Green. 10 years on its comming up to a bit of a tidy up resto. im considering put it back to original. I remeber when i first got it a didn't know much about sandman's i got sic of people telling me 'there is no such thing as a black sandman'

Just wondering if anyone know any interesting info or maybe owned/got one??

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by razsandman View Post
    Anyone one know how may Black hj sandman's where made. i have heard there was 70 all up some HJ's and a few HX's I've got a XX7 HJ with all the right bits and its orig color was tuxido black. I've had this van since i was 16. when I got it was black and in very sad condition and as best i could tell it was the original paint, after the reso it ended up Green. 10 years on its comming up to a bit of a tidy up resto. im considering put it back to original. I remeber when i first got it a didn't know much about sandman's i got sic of people telling me 'there is no such thing as a black sandman'

Just wondering if anyone know any interesting info or maybe owned/got one??
    I've recorded a fair few. There are a lot of other colours that I have less of (or none yet) recorded. It was a readily available colour, and I even have one or two recorded prior to the colour being available by colour chart dates. The earliest I have seen is a 10/75 HJ.

Whomever told you there were 70 black Sandman built is about 99% guaranteed to be speaking BS as that information is not available. I hope one day to see it but to go through such records and document each and every vehicle would take years, plus Sandmans are not identifiable in original records from other HOLDEN and Kingswood commercials. That is if the original build records are ever found. Even Holden only have the service records and then not all of them (late HQ Elizabeth and post 6/78 for all plants don't exist).
    Last edited by HK1837; 12-07-2010 at 10:26 PM.

well if its any intrest for you records its a 5/76 black with black trim and black dash faica. It was originaly a run of the mill hi comp 253, 4sp manual, conventional steering and has the XX7 brissie ID plates, all matching numbers.
    1976 HJ XX7 Sandman
    Genuine VN SS manual atlas grey
    HX LE Coupe project

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by razsandman View Post
    well if its any intrest for you records its a 5/76 black with black trim and black dash faica. It was originaly a run of the mill hi comp 253, 4sp manual, conventional steering and has the XX7 brissie ID plates, all matching numbers.
    I'd be interested in the vehicle details for the Database. I don't have it recorded.

Thread Information