Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windscreen installation

Windscreen installation

I read a post a little while ago and someone mentioned the thermo electric windscreen kits made by Bostik were no longer available and all they use now is Sikaflex....

I didn't like that idea and prefer the original way of installing the windscreen..... After much searching this arrived in the mail today.... Very happy...

image.jpg
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Good on you Sean, that's the go.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Cruiser
    I've still got a roll too will use it soon or is the sikaflex the better option I know it's not original but if it's better and keeps water out maybe its best to use

Sikaflex is suppose to be better but what would i know ask xxx7 sandman (paul) he would know

Quote Originally Posted by Cocko750 View Post
    I've still got a roll too will use it soon or is the sikaflex the better option I know it's not original but if it's better and keeps water out maybe its best to use
    +1. Have one of those myself but didn't end-up using it. Used sikaflex instead on a really hot day and wasn't quick enough to get the screen in and one part of the left pillar didn't take as it had tacked-off too quickly for me. How do you use them (must admit I haven't opened the package yet to have a squizz and it is actually at a friends place where the ute is)? Are they the electrode activated ones?

Sorry to burden you with a million questions but I've never used it before. There just looks to be the tape and primer, is that right?
    Nunc est bibendum...

Don't they have 2 wires that you connect to a 12 volt battery that melts the seal and bonds it to the screen and body?

I've only ever put them in with sikaflex and had good results, plus you can keep adding more if it leaks. (it eventually won't!)
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Cruiser
    A mate who has done a few uses sikaflex and a cruiser at work was glued in by a big shop and it leaks air something shocking , I used a Bostik one years ago on ute I'm sure just used battery and it melted into place should have wire through it . Considering the high 40 temps we have been having it could already be melted and unusable .

The frame where the windscreen sits must be cleaned of all sealer residue and the primer applied to the area. Also prime the edge of the windscreen.

place two of the rubber blocks one above the other on each side of the bottom Chanel. These act as spacers and are left in place with the fitted screen... Otherwise on a hot day the screen could slip down causing it to leak at the top.

starting in a bottom corner apply the tape to the frame and expose the wire at each end once you have laid it around the frame.

you will need two 12v batteries joined in parallel to creat 24 volts and attach positive to one end of the wire and negative to the other end.

once the butyl has softened sufficiently lay the primed windscreen onto it and apply even pressure around the edge of the screen ensuring you have full adhesion.

Disconnect the battery and allow butyl to cool.

fit windscreen trim.

This system works very well if installed properly.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

bostik kits are gone they were used since hqs still available from old stock or from the us but very sort after by anyone doing a 70s project from hq wb or xr to xf ford sika is the replacement but not the best finish on the inside more so for the early ford buffs because of no inner side pillar moulds so can show oose even with inside foam dams fitted

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    The frame where the windscreen sits must be cleaned of all sealer residue and the primer applied to the area. Also prime the edge of the windscreen.

place two of the rubber blocks one above the other on each side of the bottom Chanel. These act as spacers and are left in place with the fitted screen... Otherwise on a hot day the screen could slip down causing it to leak at the top.

starting in a bottom corner apply the tape to the frame and expose the wire at each end once you have laid it around the frame.

you will need two 12v batteries joined in parallel to creat 24 volts and attach positive to one end of the wire and negative to the other end.

once the butyl has softened sufficiently lay the primed windscreen onto it and apply even pressure around the edge of the screen ensuring you have full adhesion.

Disconnect the battery and allow butyl to cool.

fit windscreen trim.

This system works very well if installed properly.
    Thank you for that Sean! If I had to guess how to do it I'd have royally screwed it up as my thoughts were to heat it up with the screen in situ and I would have only probably used 12v to soften the compound. So yeah, I'd have mucked it up.

Appreciate very much that "how-to". Very useful, thank you!
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information