Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hq firewall

Hq firewall

Speaking with a fellow that is restoring a HQ Sandy Ute and he seemed to think his ute may originally had a coloured firewall instead of black its an early 74 build, this guy is no novice he has restored and owned many HQs including Sandmans and also said he had a HQ GTS that had a coloured firewall from factory I know in the past the subject has been raised how some plants did things differently, my Q has the chrome yellow under the black on the firewall but I imagine this was just in the assembly line paint the whole body then further down the black firewall was painted, has anyone and other evidence of either.

Good question....got me curious about mine. So I stripped the black off and found chrome yellow underneath as well!!! My firewall black looks fairly old as well...looks original

Can't say I've seen a colored firewall ..... But if there is, are the inner guards still black? (ie not coloured as well?)

Sandman Guru
    Firewalls were painted in the body plants and either left painted or painted over with slush black.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Firewalls were painted in the body plants and either left painted or painted over with slush black.
    So it would be difficult then to determine if your car was painted black from factory or down the track during a restoration unless an original survivor, was the black just the GMH black used on chassis etc

I think the firewall was gloss black and the inner guards and rad support were satin black!! Is that right Byron?

Byron,

I thought the firewall was body colour in Brisbane builds.. Did other plants do that as well?

The firewall is the same black as the inner guards I thought.

Didn't Statesmans/Broughams and higher end GTS cars sometimes get a gloss black, on the inner guards at least, to jazz them up a bit. I seem to remember that HK/T/G Monaro GTS cars had that done to some of them.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

I was going to pull the motor out of my Melbourne build HJ to paint the firewall untill I thought I'd try a little bit of elbow grease first. Came up pretty well and saved pulling the engine - for now anyway. My inner guards were a satin black, so cleaned them up and repainted them as such.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Is your firewall gloss or satin Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    My ute is Brisbane built 5/74, firewall is a satin black of sorts i.e. suspect what Bryon refers to as 'slush' black.

Looks more of a satin to me but happy to be wrong. I'll see if I can remember to get a pic of it tomorrow.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information