Thread: Picked up my re-chromed bumpers today. Very happy!

Picked up my re-chromed bumpers today. Very happy!

Picked up my front WB Caprice front bumper, number plate holder and the two rear bumper-ett's from Modern Plating today. Looks good, very shiny!

20140207_201932.jpg 20140207_201947.jpg 20140207_202008.jpg

20140207_202627.jpg 20140207_202647.jpg

Nice. Looks the goods.

Very nice indeed

Paying - off the chroming bill in instalments?

They look great mate.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Paying - off the chroming bill in instalments?

They look great mate.
    Haha, yeah pretty much. I did have to sit down when i got the price but a mate said it wasn't too bad for chroming. Came to $900 cash for all 4 items and this included the number plate holder which needed some dent repair.

A small caveat though, the number plate holder has a small area of miniature bubbling present that the shop said couldn't be fully removed or fixed, as its cast aluminium and the corrosive bubbling is inherent to 30 -40 year old castings. Very hard to see though and i guess i have to trust the shop to do the best they can with old parts.

At that price it is cheaper including shipping than getting the local Adelaide people to re-chrome!

The days of taking my old bumper to Falshaw's in Sydney and getting a perfect reconditioned one for 25 bucks are long gone.

My very 1st job in 1977 was at a chrome platers and I had just bought my HK panel van. Every morning tea and lunch break I would madly unbolt bits from the van to get plated and was always the last one out of the carpark after work after refitting everything so I could drive home. We were chroming stuff just because we could. The boss got right into it after a while and was getting me to chrome every nut and bolt.

Real chrome in those days too.... copper, then nickel, then chrome. And repeat if needed. And all for free!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Real chrome in those days too.... copper, then nickel, then chrome. And repeat if needed. And all for free!
    Is that not how it's done anymore? I must be way out of the loop...

I buy a lot of bicycle stuff for my shop and 99.9% of it comes from Asia. All the chrome these days appears to be just straight on top of (poorly cleaned) bare steel. It is so thin it allows rust to form within days of unpacking.

I had a talk to a few platers in Australia and they said that the chemicals are now different, and most of them don't do all 3 processes anymore to save money. It's called "showchrome" these days, and is just for looks, not to protect the steel product.

I buy a lot of bicycle stuff for my shop and 99.9% of it comes from Asia. All the chrome these days appears to be just straight on top of (poorly cleaned) bare steel. It is so thin it allows rust to form within days of unpacking.

I had a talk to a few platers in Australia and they said that the chemicals are now different, and most of them don't do all 3 processes anymore to save money. It's called "showchrome" these days, and is just for looks, not to protect the steel product.

Thread Information