Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colours

Colours

Just interested to know.........If you have or did own a HJ Sandman ute or van what would be your choice of colour to paint it if you where not trying to match the tags? IE: If the tags were black and you didnt like black what colour would you go?

Straight yellow tinter had a hj sandman van painted that colour many years ago you could see it coming a mile away

Sandman Driver
    One of my HX vans was originally antelope (metalic gold), it had so many good bits pilfered off it before I got it, and so much rust work attempted, it was losing much originality for a purist. I'f I'd decided to stay with the antelope, then this would have restored at least some of that. Despite this, I still decided not to, for two reasons; 1. antelope has seemed to fade and then rust pretty easy in many 70s Holdens at my personal observation; 2. It's not the most popular colour for a van; 3. (yeah ok I can't count) I always wanted an orange or green one... or maybe blue or yellow, or... ok I'll stop here. So orange for HX is papaya, but, I didnt want papaya, and I ended up going for valencia (an HZ colour) but, it is a classic colour.

My other HX is much more original and was originally Tuxedo black, (currently is red) and I will be going back to black.

If I had a standard (non sandman) H series van I'd think about a deep maroon with blackouts in hard shiny two pack, or gunmetal grey with GTS guards and blackouts and like 6 coats of clear! That always looked good (I reckon anyway).
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 05-02-2014 at 02:28 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by seavan View Post
    Just interested to know.........If you have or did own a HJ Sandman ute or van what would be your choice of colour to paint it if you where not trying to match the tags? IE: If the tags were black and you didnt like black what colour would you go?
    If the tags say black and it's a genuine Sandman I would paint it factory Black. If it were a low spec basket case and I hated black there are many colours from the original HJ colours you could choose from or any other make or model. I like most colours (except Chamois). What is the factory trim colour and do you plan to keep of change that? The one thing for sure if it's a HJ it gets HJ stripes and retains a standard nose cone if I have anything to do with it.

Sandman Guru
    Good question. I'd normally go original, but if I was to do a car i'd be chasing driveline. So if I found a HQ or HJ Kingswood Sandman ute in L31 M40/M41 with air, steer, LSD i'd buy it regardless of colour. If it was a light green it'd get painted another colour, If it was Durham beige it'd be another colour.

Banned
    Durham beige, chamois or bamboo. Colour of choice. If I was trying to impress Byron I would paint it any cacky shade of green.
    But seriously.... I like darker colours in brown or even the metallic bronze that you could get WB in. Black however would be the best standard colour in my opinion. Paint it black.
    Last edited by wbute; 05-02-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Sandman Guru
    For HJ colours i'd choose (in no particular order and body style and trim dependant):

Sepia
    Satin Mist
    Absinth
    Claret
    Royal Plum
    Papaya
    Tuxedo
    Bordeaux

I'd love a HJ Kingswood Sandman in Sepia, Satin Mist, Tuxedo or one of the dark red wine metallics. For a van i'd choose one of the brighter colours mentioned. For me the extra chrome on the Kingswood looks better in the darker colours whilst a HJ van with its lack of bright and slab sides suits a colour like Papaya or Absinth. Plus I would probably put HJ stripes on a van and I like black ones better which come on bright colours, but I reckon HJ Kingswoods look better without especially white stripes which come on darker colours normally.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Good question. I'd normally go original, but if I was to do a car i'd be chasing driveline. So if I found a HQ or HJ Kingswood Sandman ute in L31 M40/M41 with air, steer, LSD i'd buy it regardless of colour. If it was a light green it'd get painted another colour, If it was Durham beige it'd be another colour.
    Stop hinting, I'll lend it to you from time to time.... ;-)
    Nunc est bibendum...

Jamacia Lime for HJ just because it screams HJ. But otherwise anything bright will be a good choice. Not red
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    Jamacia Lime for HJ just because it screams HJ. But otherwise anything bright will be a good choice. Not red
    I'm with you on this. If you pick a colour that screams the model the car is you can't go wrong. It doesn't even have to be a favourite colour just the one that typifies the release.

That said, I do like Papaya with black stripes.
    Last edited by Innuendo; 05-02-2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: speeeeeling

Thread Information