Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colours

Whats the go with Tuxedo black and the blackouts, they would clash or dont you have black outs if this is the case? Then if you have a black interior it would look a bit black blobbish would it not? Are there many HJ Tuxedo Sandmans around?

Quote Originally Posted by seavan View Post
    Whats the go with Tuxedo black and the blackouts, they would clash or dont you have black outs if this is the case? Then if you have a black interior it would look a bit black blobbish would it not? Are there many HJ Tuxedo Sandmans around?
    Plenty recorded, not many around though. My "guess" is the blackouts didn't happen. If you were brave you could do satin black or add metallic flakes on the blackouts and the same with the stripes (or even have whites stripes). It certainly would attract attention. Black requires a dead straight mint body with the proper care and attention to the paint polish and finish to look spot on. There are certain people who have no idea how to deal with or maintain black so I completely understand if you are looking for an easier colour.

That said, the TAGS say black and in my mind that's what it should be. Rare to see on the road these days.

Sandman Guru
    They were never straight new! You should see the gutter line above the roof on my mate's factory paint Windsor Blue XX7 van. Shocking lead and body joints!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    They were never straight new! You should see the gutter line above the roof on my mate's factory paint Windsor Blue XX7 van. Shocking lead and body joints!
    That's a true enough statement. But no reason not to correct it when restoring. Same goes with panel gapping, they were just as bad from factory.

Banned
    My blue WB had a strip above the rear window that never had paint on it.
    Black cars are good. Our last Prado was black. Never washed it and it was always on dirt roads. It looked unreal as long as you only looked at the paint in the dark. Scratches all over it if you washed it.
    I still like the idea of a genuine Tuxedo black Sandman or hatchback Torana though. Toughest colour for sure.

Sandman Guru
    Funny how everyone in the end likes the plainest colours (or some of them): white, black, yellow and red. Easiest to sell or trade. I have always like A9X hatches in white, but they do look horn in black.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Funny how everyone in the end likes the plainest colours (or some of them): white, black, yellow and red. Easiest to sell or trade. I have always like A9X hatches in white, but they do look horn in black.
    Yeah white doesn't do it for me, although I had a white HX Prem which looked good with lots of chrome trim and centerlines. I do like satin mist, 'Trash' had a nice factory L31 XX7 plated windowless HJ which I'm kicking myself I didn't buy....

Black vans were the hot ticket back in the day, everyone wanted them and a lot were resprayed black.

Factory black vans were delete blackout option. (so just one colour). Black Sandmans were what I dreamed about (among other obvious things) when I was a teenager!

But to answer the original question, if I were doing a full rebuild with interior change I would do it Jamaica Lime or Papaya, both with all the blackouts in the guards and sill etc, and a black interior. Memories......
    Last edited by Big Rob; 06-02-2014 at 02:43 AM.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information