Thread: Tailgate seals...

Tailgate seals...

I washed the van yesterday and found the top tailgate seal has perished right up along the top, and let a fair bit of water in. I hosed it pretty well, so I'm happy with it keeping rain out, but I obviously need to replace it soon, so who is the best place to get the replacement from? I'll get a bottom one while I'm at it too.

I want good quality seals and don't mind paying a bit extra for them.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

l bought a whole kit from to back from better auto rubbers in qld seems to be oka l paid fair price
    someone here you tell you differant to buy else where l will put money on that

I also got the full kit for the HJ from better auto rubbers. I used their rubbers back in 99 when I completely rebuilt my HJ work ute and they were quite good then so hopefully these are as good. They take a few months to bed in though, had to slam doors to close properly.

Cruiser
    Will it help to bed rubbers in by closing the doors and letting it sit for a few months? I have new rubbers for the tonner and have to store it for a while. Is it better to open and close or stay closed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dago View Post
    Will it help to bed rubbers in by closing the doors and letting it sit for a few months? I have new rubbers for the tonner and have to store it for a while. Is it better to open and close or stay closed?
    I was hoping that that was the case. I replaced the original ones while I was painting my ute with "a brand" from Victoria and wasn't hugely happy with them as I couldn't adjust the door far enough out for them to working without slamming the door. So I then bought some from another reputable dealer and have found the same thing.... Looking at both (different types/brands of door seals - they are very different from each other), they are both quite a great deal thicker in cross-section than the original (perished) ones that were fitted from new.

This first world issue I will soon have to sort out one way or the other as I'm taking three weeks off work to get the beast in paint (finally) and hope it gets to see the road again for the first time in three years soon. It was only ever taken off the road for a "bit of a tidy up...."
    Nunc est bibendum...

With new doors seals/rubbers you will need to wind the windows down an inch or so to stop vacuum build up.
    Fit them and close the door leave it in the stinking hot sun or put the car in a baking oven.

I replaced the seals on my XU-1 and had a hell of a time closing the doors until I learnt these secrets.

So "Better Auto Rubbers" then. I assume they are on the 'net. I'll try google. Thanks.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Just put an order in for top and bottom tailgate seals at Better Auto Rubber and also found some charcoal grey pinchweld as well.

A real easy website to use and a simple purchasing process made it easy.

Thanks for the advice.

It's a rockin'
    I used rare spares rubbers on my HQ coupe and had no problems,doors close beautifully but the doors on the torrie are hard to close especially the tailgate..... They say they use a softer rubber on their seals now and the torrie ones were bought about 8 years ago.

I received my tailgate rubbers today via courier and they look great. I may have a chance to fit them on the weekend.

Pretty good service from Betta Auto Rubbers.... I am impressed with the simple purchase procedure and the prompt order processing.

I recommend them 100%.

Thread Information