Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HJ Sandman Kingswood ute XX7

Banned
    I agree. They r asking full concourse resto money for a modified street ute.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    That is Holden adding confusion. The R would typically mean engine type I.E: 253 if reading off the VIN thin tag.
    On this plate it means Right Hand Drive. At a guess this plant was likely building the LHD export models also.
    HX Sydney utes are 8WM80XR on the tags. That's on my Sandman 253 ute and on my 6 cylinder Kingswood HX.

Not everybody is anal on restos sean i do see your point though at those $$$$ they could have found good second hand parts and restore them but i think for some people its easy for them to buy repro parts
    40k cant see it selling for that price but stranger things have happened

I hear ya Sean and I was trying not to "go after" the build (I was trying to be nice) but yes, most of what you have listed are items I would address if I were to want to purchase and return the vehicle to a more authentic state (though I'm not sure you are right about the finish of the inner guards as they were only ever satin black at brightest but could be rubbed/polished up a bit)... I guess I was playing devil's advocate when I asked about the Kingswood identifiers. Reading between the lines as in why would you go to the trouble of removing the lugs behind the doors (the ones that are only fitted to each and every Kingswood body - Sandman or not) and change or mod the windscreen trims to suit the missing trim pieces?

Those GTS flutes don't look right to me either but that may be the way they've been blacked-out. But hey, still a really nice build all things considered though I will say that I am not going to restore mine to the point of a "big nut" master cylinder etc as I'm not chasing concourse or survivour trophies, just a neat ute which has been looked after and I enjoy driving. layrubber.gif
    Nunc est bibendum...

Sandman Guru
    R has meant RHD on that plate on Pagewood cars since HK. Also on HR's at some body plants.

Sandman Guru
    This is a FAR superior investment at $10k less asking:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cairn...ute/1036773868

Pretty much top dog Sandman being HQ, metallic, L31 and power steer, plus that added advantage (for those that like fuzzy feelings) of being an Acacia Ridge build. For me the seat inserts would have to go, a few dress items fixed back to how they should be but still a great car for less than it'd cost you to buy and restore a far more common example.

Silver HQ is an absolute bargain if its as good as it looks.

While the HQ has some appeal it's got a few issues and you'll be spending up big to correct them.
    No dash face, No indicator knob, Trim is wrong, Front indicator lenses wrong, Grill wrong, Wheel paint wrong, Painted intake wrong and the list is surely longer...

I do like the fact it is undisputed XX7. Is the HJ 10K better? It certainly has more visual appeal.
    I expect you'd need to throw another $10K at the HQ also to get it right.

Sandman Guru
    Apples with apples though (both are modified and have "originality" issues) the HQ wins hands down for me assuming they have both been "repaired" and painted to the same standard. At least the HQ still has its tarp clips.

Fascia aint an issue, I have two new ones in the shed. Trim is just trim, $750 and its fixed. Indicator lenses are easy. Grille, headlight surrounds and wheels are just a bit of paint, but still a fair whack of time to do it all properly and will not be cheap to do everything. Given it does have other things harder to do right like the firewall, engine bay is too glossy etc I reckon do a deal at $25k and just fix the few easy things, leave the rest alone. The trim and putting the ride height back to original are the only major expenses i'd go to, and maybe fit integrated air into it.

Learner Driver
    I have also looked at this ute. It looks schmick as in the flesh. The guy selling it is not selling it at a profit, he told me he was just covering his costs (he works there as previously mentioned, so no labour costs). They quoted me $60,000 for resto of a HZ panelvan. This seemed crazy when we could have bought the one in his shop which was a sandman for $20,000 less. He commented that it had been on sale for a while as there are inaccuracies, such as a 253 instead of a 308 engine, which he assumed was putting people off. Very nice looking ride though, interesting to hear what you have all said about your opinion on value.

Thread Information