Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HZ GTS Steering Wheel

Cruiser
    Haha, whatever it it's called, it does look good. I'll know what nick it's in soon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Yeah it is burl. People get it wrong all the time. It comes from the root burl underground at the base of the walnut tree. That is where the most interesting and intricate patterns are formed.

Edit: Learn something new everyday! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl
    Those big black lumps on the sides of box trees are burls as well. People cut them off and make furniture out of them. Maybe a Bently has real walnut burl, a Holden has plastic.

Cruiser
    Yeah it is burl. People get it wrong all the time. It comes from the root burl underground at the base of the walnut tree. That is where the most interesting and intricate patterns are formed.

Edit: Learn something new everyday! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl
    I researched this very thing when I wrote my 60 years book.

The guy who proof-read the book was a pommy English language teacher & also an antique furniture collector. He was adamant it was BURR, not BURL, he said he had never heard of BURL walnut, until I showed him the original Holden sales brochures, which clearly had it spelled BURL wherever that woodgrain was used. He in turn, produced many books on wood & antique furniture (all printed in good old England) where it was always spelled BURR. So we agreed to disagree & we used a rule wherever English/US spelling issues arose, we used GM-H paperwork as the referee.

Generally speaking GM-H used American English not English English that you & I were taught at school in Australia. Not all the time, but most of the time. For example, you don't see the word trunk used for boot, they actually call it the 'rear compartment'.

As the opening line in the Wikipedia article states "A burl (American English) or bur or burr (used in all non-US English speaking countries) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner."

So I guess a Bentley would have BURR walnut & a Cadillac would have BURL Walnut.

Dr Terry
    Last edited by Dr Terry; 15-01-2014 at 09:47 PM.

I watched Megafactories recently on the Bentley or Jaguar (or both!) and they 100% said Burl and being Pommy brands I took it as given.
    But thinking about now the narrator was American...

This also gets me thinking about the narrator on Mythbusters whom changes pronunciations between segments let alone episodes.
    Turns out he lives in Sydney (and narrates from there) was born in England and caters for US and Canadian markets!

Banned
    Either way its plastic on a Holden.

Cruiser
    Either way haven't seen too many burl dashes ,maybe a few " wood grain gts -statesman "but have never seen a red gts wheel would look cool in the right colour scheme/interior .

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocko750 View Post
    Either way haven't seen too many burl dashes ,maybe a few " wood grain gts -statesman "but have never seen a red gts wheel would look cool in the right colour scheme/interior .
    My thoughts exactly. So what looks good with a maroon interior with burr/burl dash?

Quote Originally Posted by Dago View Post
    My thoughts exactly. So what looks good with a maroon interior with burr/burl dash?
    I remember back in the day a VB SL/E same colour interior and a 'blue/grey' body??, made sence at the time.

Cruiser
    Remember a bloke had a maroon ute with full velour interior in red he didn't have a wheel to go with it though, early 90's for ya .

Cruiser
    I watched Megafactories recently on the Bentley or Jaguar (or both!) and they 100% said Burl and being Pommy brands I took it as given.
    But thinking about now the narrator was American...

This also gets me thinking about the narrator on Mythbusters whom changes pronunciations between segments let alone episodes.
    Turns out he lives in Sydney (and narrates from there) was born in England and caters for US and Canadian markets!
    Yes, Mythbusters is a 'trans-Pacific' or 'trans-Atlantic' show. I believe that the production company is Aussie as well. It is named 'Beyond Productions', which is the same crowd who used to make 'Towards 2000 & & Beyond 2000'.

It is shows like this (& of course the internet), that will eventually lead to an international version of English, instead of this US English, Aussie English & English English we have currently.

Dr Terry

Thread Information