Thread: Computer meltdown... HELP!!!!

Computer meltdown... HELP!!!!

Well I had just come back from the movies last night and started browsing My Sandman when my computer screen went blank..:errf: So I hit reset.... nothing.... shut down to reboot... nothing :cry:

As the computer was still running I am assuming the CPU has fried itself... sort of knew it was on it's way out and purchased a new computer a week or so ago and was intending to transfer all my files ect. this weekend.... bugger.... a day too late.

So for all the technerds out there..... What is the best way to retrieve all the files and programs off my old hard drive without installing a new motherboard in the old computer as I need some of them ASAP? or is a new motherboard the easiest way??? I will then give the old computer to my daughter to play on.

I spent most of last night and this morning setting up the new computer and loading the anti virus program.... what a frigging pain...:twisted:
    Still trying to learn my way around Vista after using XP for so long....
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

You can move your files from the old hard drive (HDD) to the new system quiet easily, just need to know a couple details.

1. Does your old hdd have a ribbon cable a 40 pin connector in the back?
    2. Does your new hdd have a slim ribbon about 1/2 inch wide, or is it the same as above?

What you'll need to do is remove the old hdd and add it as a "slave' to your new computer. It will appear in your file manager/windows explorer and you can start moving your files over to the new hard drive.

If your old hard drive is like #1 above, you'll have to check for an appropriate connection on the motherboard of your new PC.

If it's all too hard, remove the old hdd and take that and your new PC to the local geek shop - ask them to add the old drive to the new system as a secondary drive. Then you can do the transfers in your own time.

To save a few bucks we can work it out online, can even post some pics for you on what to do if it helps.

Uhmm.... the old computer was made up by a mate in 2003 and I had no end of problems getting it working properly.... incompatible motherboard to RAM so had to purchase another, got a worm virus as soon as I connected to the internet and spent the weekend getting it removed...etc. etc. ect.....

This time just went down to WOW and got a HP package... Tower, keyboard, mouse and 22" monitor.... don't really want to go rooting around inside it... may tempt fate and I need the computer daily for work..

I thought I may have been able to get a shop to downlaod all my files from the HDD to an external HDD that I could just plug into the new computer and transfer them onto it...

I can reload some of my Software but need the files in them from the old one... namely Toolbox which is my Building accounting and estimating program and my 3D Architect plan files. Also all the photo's, word and excell documents etc....

I spent 3hrs on the phone last night with Telstra just getting my internet connection back on line..... Broadband tech support... friggin useless.... she kept leaving me waiting on hold while they tried testing the line and connection.... try explaining to the stupid woman that there is nothing wrong with the connection... I have a new computer and want the 9 digit code and settings for the installation disc..... what a nightmare....
    Last edited by Absinth; 11-07-2010 at 03:32 PM.

ok understood. Don't want to root around a new PC if you have a warranty and not sure what's what.

I'd suggest buying an external pocket/smartdrive hard drive. They range in sizes from 300gb up to 1tb. I just bought one last week for $100 at Office Works. Just make sure you get a USB powered drive, not one that requires an additional external power source.

We use ours to back up all important files etc.

Once you have your portable drive, take it and your old hard drive to a computer store and they should do the transfer for you. Then you can move files off the portable drive to your new system - ffs make sure your anti virus stuff is up to date on the day you plug in the old files to dump them on your new PC!!! Otherwise you'll be transferring possibly infected data to your clean computer.

Buy the portable drive from Dick Smith, Office works.. not the PC store - they tend to be higher priced due to lack of purchasing power compared to the majors.

You got my number so if you're stuck give me a call

Excellent, that's what I was hoping I could do. I installed Trend Micro PC-cillin this time around instead of Norton and it is now registered and fully up to date so should be good there.

I'll head down to WOW now and pick up a External Hard Drive... once I get everything transfered I'll re-format it and use it as a backup.... should have done earlier....

Thanks for the help... any probs and I'll give you a call... cheers mate.

Thread Information