Thread: EFI 5L Conversions

EFI 5L Conversions

Hopefully at the end of the month I'll start fittings the V8 engine and trans to my van. I am using a late model overdrive auto out of a VN V8 Commodore and after looking at the old Trimatic shifter out of my parts van and the shifter out of the Commodore it is radically different. I know that a couple of people on the forum have late model running gear I am interested in seeing how they resolved the gearshift issue.
    Did you use the Commodore shifter thus allowing you to keep all the inhibitor switch gear? What did you do regarding speedo cables? Do I need a particular type of trans tunnel to make this all work?

Sandman Guru
    HQ-HZ TH400 shifter will operate it, or swap your trimatic one around by removing the roll pins and putting it back together.
    Speedo cable is just a TH400 one but make sure you holesaw the hole for it while the engine is out. Put a blank speedo cable rubber in the original hole. Buy an inline 2 pulse per rev speed sensor, goes between the cable and the box.

I assume the pulse sensor is needed for an input signal to the ECU? The engine will have a carby with no ECU so does that remove the need for the pulse sensor? Regarding the speedo cable am I to assume that a TH400 cable has much bulkier fittings and there fore needs a larger hole for the cable to fit in?

Sandman Guru
    If you are using a carby then no need for the speed sensor unless you want to try and fit VN-VP cruise.

TH400 cable attaches to the passenger side of the box, and the cable is routed through the middle of the firewall to avoid small radius bends. Just look at a HQ-WB parts catalogue for how TH400 or TH350 cable is routed and supported.
    HZ or WB will also show you how TH350 kickdown works off a carby so you can deal with the 4L60 kickdown.

What are you using for torque converter control? A B&M kit?

I have been thinking about using this TCI unit.
    http://www.tciauto.com/tc/2004r-700r...iring-kithtml/

I like the automatic operation of it. The B&M kit requires you turn buttons on and off which would make them a bit of a pain.

I have also been looking at TV cable kick down plates as well.

Any experience with these two products?

http://www.tvmadeez.com/

It's a rockin'
    my van has a T700 with T400 shifter and works ok but the linkage is very close to the floor/trans tunnel so there is not much room for adjustment but i think if you made the shift rod shorter it would be ok, it also has a kick down similar to the one you are looking at and it has that TCI unit and it works well

question relating to the tooth count for the speedo gear. The has been fitted with the turbo 700 auto with a 3.36 diff ratio and 205/70 14" wheels and tyres. Anyone know how to calculate the correct number of teeth the speedo gear need to get the speedo to read accurate?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know how to calculate the correct # of teeth the speedo gear needs to have? The van has been fitted with a Turbo 700 out of a VN Commodore. The van is fitted with a 3.36 diff and 205/70 R 14" wheels and tyres.

Sandman Guru
    You"ll have to work out the original RPM of the speedo cable for a given road speed using the tyre diameter, diff ratio and the drive and driven gears for an original gearbox. Then compare with the same data but using the drive and driven gear for the 4L60. And adjust the driven gear to get the same speedo cable rpm. Putting it in a spreadsheet will be the easiest way.

Here you go:

Speedo Gear Calculator
    Though not sure if this is compatible with the TH700 ?

Leadfoot
    Be very careful with the TV cable it is not a kick down cable it controls the shift pressure / line pressure and if you get it wrong you will fry the trans instantly.
    you'll also have to mod the x member etc.

Thread Information