Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rares lower tailgate???

gregbark is his username. I'm sure he will be on holidays so don't expect an answer within the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    apparently there is a guy in Hervey bay making lower tailgate skins but have no details on who.
    The young guy up Forbes way bought one of those skins I think. Was Miles his name? Username V6hqute or something like that.

Learner Driver
    Dads been looking for a new tailgate for his van after his original was replaced about 3 years ago, the one on it currently I'm not sure if it is the old Rares stock or not but was told it was made in Taiwan. Since it was fitted he has complained that it doesn't fit right (does not complete the seal). This is ok for a ute but for a van it lets the exhaust fumes in.

If this new Rares one fits as per original, we'll definitely be getting one. Let us know how it fits

Mr. Rare Spares
    Greg is on holidays at the moment but I can tell you that we have substantial stock and that they are Ute Tailgates that have to be modified to suit van which is no big deal just cutting a section out of the top corner. They may not necessarily be a limited run it all depends on sales if they sell well then we will probably continue to make them, at this stage we are a bit up in the air; I would be pushing to continue with them in the future.

Thanks Les, great to know!! Very interested in one myself

Yep, I'll be ordering one asap.

Now start thinking about doing TOP tailgates Les! There are NONE left anywhere and the only option is fibreglass. Top tailgate handles would be handy too, they are impossible to find anywhere.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

It's a rockin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbs77 View Post
    Dads been looking for a new tailgate for his van after his original was replaced about 3 years ago, the one on it currently I'm not sure if it is the old Rares stock or not but was told it was made in Taiwan. Since it was fitted he has complained that it doesn't fit right (does not complete the seal). This is ok for a ute but for a van it lets the exhaust fumes in.

If this new Rares one fits as per original, we'll definitely be getting one. Let us know how it fits
    every van i have looked at has a gap between the tailgate and body at the bottom so maybe someone with an original van can have a look at theirs and see if there is a gap?

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    every van i have looked at has a gap between the tailgate and body at the bottom so maybe someone with an original van can have a look at theirs and see if there is a gap?
    Between the seal and the body? Mines got all original panels and no gaps. I grew up on a dirt road with the van as my first car and never had any dust or fume problems. Tight as a drum.

^^^^ Same... If you have gaps between the lower tailgate and body either the tailgate is bent or poorly fitted...... Or the vans been rear ended at some stage and not repaired properly.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Are the new Rare Spares tailgates complete with hardware, or just a shell? It's not clear on the web page.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information