Thread: Ball Joints and Tie Rods

Question Ball Joints and Tie Rods

Hi all i stripped the chassis bare on the weekend and just need to pick some brains.regarding the ball joints can they be reconditioned on the arms without removing them as i would like to keep the original rivets on it.also i have googled about quality tie rods and there is so much conflicting info about them,some say 555 brand are best or moog,some say wasp are rubbish others say there good.can anyone suggest a good quality set up.Cheers Brian.

Moog ball joints are the better ones
    if you going to strip the chassis you need to replace all ball joints for brand new one thats what i would do anyway

Sandman Guru
    You need new ones, and rivets will have to go. I didn't wanted original rivets on my HJ Premier and so I bought NOS upper and lower arms with original balljoints and rubbers in them. Cost about $500 for the lot though. Haven't used them yet but have them for when I need them.

I thought i would have to replace them but worth asking the question.HK1837 $500 would be a good buy for nos gear they would be pretty hard to find now days.can anyone suggest where to get a decent quality kit. thanks Brian.

Kingswood country do a kit dont know what brand it is though

This sounds retentive I know but if you were looking to install new ball joints and are chasing that concors attention to detail I have previously sourced the right sized and shaped rivets from Caterpillar for someone who wanted that look on their Holden.

https://commerce.cat.com/en/catcorp/...D1387791380890

There is a couple of ways to fit them.... Either an air hammer/chisel with the right domed bit and dolly to install them (they can be done without but much easier with one). Or you can sweet talk an aircraft mechanic as they use that type of dome rivet in day to day work. I remember someone mentioning it is possible to set them up in a press also.
    Last edited by Taily; 23-12-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna Do View Post
    I thought i would have to replace them but worth asking the question.HK1837 $500 would be a good buy for nos gear they would be pretty hard to find now days.can anyone suggest where to get a decent quality kit. thanks Brian.
    Particularly as they were proper HQ/J lower arms too with the small shocky hole.

Thanks for that info Tally very much appreciated .

I like to replace them and am more comfortable with nuts and bolts to hold them in place. I can check and re-tighten them if need be with no need to remove the wishbone from the car just to have a rivet hit harder. Unless a rivet job is done properly, the balljoint will not be secure.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    I like to replace them and am more comfortable with nuts and bolts to hold them in place. I can check and re-tighten them if need be with no need to remove the wishbone from the car just to have a rivet hit harder. Unless a rivet job is done properly, the balljoint will not be secure.
    You are right, the rivets do not come loose if done properly, just the same as the bolts don't. A bit of trivia for ya.... rivetting is the way they were done (in the car), at most if not all Holden Service departments (until about HZ - the older guys would know when that changed) when TRW (the genuine component supplier) were able to supply standardised kits between genuine and aftermarket.

When I kicked-off my apprenticeship in the mid 80's I was still taught how to rivet them in-situ in the car at work. Was a fiddly job to get right (was easier with two people) but not hard to do by yourself. They were a less common job than lower ball joints but still replaced almost annually by some tradie vehicles. I still smile to this day when I hear/see someone get a bit excited by finding "original" rivetted top ball joints....

I never bother rivetting these days (unless asked to) and use the bolts on my own HJ. One thing to watch though Rob, if you find you need to tighten ball joint retaining bolts in service then it is time to have a really good look for damaged bolts/flogged holes as the whole lot will be already moving around and starting to crack/stretch (usually through either over or under tensioning) bolts etc.

It is all good for owners to be able to work on their pride and joy as it can be very satisfying etc (I get that - especially as a "retired" mechanic - still working, just in another industry these days). There are risks either way the ball joint is attached (probably moreso with the bolts) but that wasn't quite the point of my previous post.

Dave.
    Last edited by Taily; 24-12-2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: resolved ambiguity
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information