Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All things wheels and tyres (HZ Sandman)

Question All things wheels and tyres (HZ Sandman)

I'm planning on putting some centreline wheels on my van. I've just always loved the way they look, ever since I was a kid, and think they look great on Panel vans.

I'd love some advice on what size wheels to get, and what type of tyres also.

Is it generally done to put smaller wheels on the front? Or is it just that the wheel arch on the back is bigger making them look smaller on the front?

I've attached a pic, I don't have to have ones exactly the same as these, but does anyone know of any particular model names, all I have so far is the general brand, Centreline.

As for tyres I think the white BF Goodrich writing looks pretty schmicko, is this a done thing on the vans, or would just normal black look better?

Value your opinions guys, let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 01-06-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Centreline style wheels look good on just about anything in my opinion.
    If you want to fit a decent size tyre in BFG T/A's, you will need to buy at least 15" diameter, as wide 14" T/A's are really hard to get, 245/60 is about as wide as they go. 15" you can 265 and 285.

I personally like raised white letter tyres, but I grew up in an age when every hot car had them. It's your van, so do what YOU think looks good, not what the current trend may be.

Actually, I think your van looks good with the wheels that are on it, but again, that's just my opinion.

These are the wheels I'm reconditioning for my van, 7" front, 8" rear, hopefully with 245 and 265 BFG T/A's.
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 01-06-2018 at 07:18 PM.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

"Genuine" Centerline Autodrags is what you are showing. Personal favourites of mine are the satin finish.
    I'm personally not a fan of any of the other Centerline styles. As for size anything smaller than a 265 on the rear is pathetic. But to get these to fit correctly requires the correct rim backspace and probably rolling of the guard lip. While I don't hate white lettering showing it doesn't suits all rims and all cars. Ride hight plays a part in the right look and the right look doesn't always give the best ride.
    It is not uncommon for front rims to be smaller then rear wheels, more so if you have wide rear rubber.

You should be looking at 15x8-1/2" rear and 15x6 or 15x7" on the front. Tyres 265x50x15 rear and 225x60x15 on the front (or something pretty similar).
    That is what I would class as pretty sensible and quite achievable.

Don't buy into the crap about closed wheels and hot brakes etc. It's a street panel van not a race car.
    One other thing: Globeline, Cheviot Armourlites etc "Fakes" should never be considered.

Why would you go 50s on the back and 60s on the front innuendo
    imho 50s are to small on the back they dont fill the rear quarters for my liking
    i like 265x60x15 with an 8inch rim on the back and 245x50x15 on the front with a 7 inch rim but thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier 73 View Post
    Why would you go 50s on the back and 60s on the front innuendo
    It will provide a very similar rolling diameter. 50 series means the side wall is 50% the width of the tyre.
    Narrower tyres require a taller side wall to match the diameter.
    245x50 would be OK. But it comes at the risk of guard lip grabbing and/or sway bar scubbing. Meaning the car cannot ride as low.

Personally I ran 265x14x50 on 14x9"s rear and 245x50x14 on 14x7" front on my big block HQ Van. I did though change to 225x60x14" fronts when the tyres needed replacing and the ride was far better and didn't track anywhere near as bad in truck ruts on the bitumen. I personally also thought it looked better with more tyre up under the guard. You certainly could go with 265x60x15 on the rear. But the stance can look odd if you don't find something suitable for the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Attachment 9610
    These are the wheels I'm reconditioning for my van, 7" front, 8" rear, hopefully with 245 and 265 BFG T/A's.
    Those rims are "Magnums"

Banned
    Just be aware that insurance companies can get all fussy about wider wheels. Check that out if that's an issue for you.

All good stuff guys appreciate it. Will put up some pics when I get them put on. Agree with you Big Rob, I just want the van to look the way i've always imagined it looking, and that involved having a nice set of centrelines on it, and the white writing is something i've seen on here, and really like the look. I did hear that stuff about brakes overheating and negative things, but i'm not racing around in the van, its a Sunday cruiser, that's it.

Thanks again, gives me plenty to consider...

This will be a nice looking cruiser.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

I've had centrelines on a few cars and have worked them pretty hard and never had a brake issue so I think you'll be OK.

As for white lettered tyres, I had a mate back in the 70's and he HATED them. He loved T/A's and all his cars had them, but he always ran them inside out because he didn't like the look. As I said earlier, I LOVE the look and will go to all lengths to have them if I can.

So it's just a matter of preference...... If you like 'em, show 'em.

Vans are all about showing your individuality anyway.....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information