Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Oldman’s HZ Sandman panel van

Learner Driver

My Oldman’s HZ Sandman panel van

Hello everyone my name is Anthony, I’m new to mysandman.com, but I’ve probably met a few members at past NSW All Holden Days. I thought I’d share with you MySandman story.

It was sort of an accident to him owning it. He is an electrical contractor and 36 years ago he had ordered and put a deposit down at Suttons Arncliffe, Sydney, on an optioned out 308 kingswood wagon with the purpose to be used as a work car. Deep down he wanted a Sandman but thought a wagon would be more practical. It was December and the dealer told him there would be a bit of a wait for delivery, anyway the dealer had a Flamenco red, 253, 4 speed, with black 18v trim Sandman in stock and he said stuff it I’ll take the van!

He has owned it ever since and up until about 4 years ago it was used daily as a work van, and is now not used daily but still driven quite regularly. The van has never officially had a respray but having done over 925,000 kms, of course panels have needed to be touched up and pieces have been re-trimmed. The van did come with full decal set, however tailgate one was removed early on and then the side stripes taken off, the decals on the guards still remain. Dad tells me by the late 70s early 80s everyone was taking them off. For years the van has had side protector stripes, and everyone tells him to take them off and put the stripes back on!

The van is still running with the original 253 block and transmission. From what I know the diff was upgraded I think to 3.08 ratio, a Holley carburettor was put in and a hydraulic clutch. Other than that everything else is original.

I have lots of memories of the van. For instance when we were kids dad would pick us up from footy training and my brother and I would fight over who would get the front seat, because one of us would have to sit in the back amongst the ladder and tools! I don’t think we would be able to that these days! Another fond memory for me is learning to drive in the van.

This write up is getting a bit long … anyway below are some pics from 2013 NSW AHD. We first took the van to the 2011 show after my cousin who has a EH wagon twisted his arm to enter the van, he was never one to do that sort of thing. What a day it was with a great mix of cars and some really nice people to chat with. To our surprise the van attracted a lot of attention many people came up to us and complimented him. Many recognised the van saying things like “You did a job me” or “you wired my house” or “this is the van we always see around the Sutherland/Hurstville area”. The day always goes too quickly!

A few recent pics of the van from 2013 AHD:

DSC_0403.jpgDSC_0406.jpgDSC_0408.jpg

Interior and odo readout:

DSC_0658.jpg DSC_0650.jpg

Dad never really took any photos of the van when it was newer, but we have some old ones below are two from the day my parents got married so this was March 1981, the van would of been just over 3 years old at this stage with rear decal already removed

1.jpg
    Last edited by Barbs77; 10-03-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Great story Anthony,nice that the van has stayed in the family.

Thanks for sharing Anthony and welcome to the forums

Great seeing the old photos. Clearly there's some fond memories there. Looks like the van has a happy loving home

P Plater
    Big LIKES buddy, wish I still had my original Sandman that I bought new when I was 18, Great story............

Think you need to contact holden when it hits a million, that is some huge klms with the original motor, I had to get rid of my hz wagon due to body fatigue. Mercedes put on a big show for some crappy old diesel merc that hit a million klms.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Think I saw this van last week driving through Shire area?

Great story!

Hello barbs77 we have met you at a couple of AHD's we have the yellow sandman, And came with the sandman ute this year as well. Good to have you on board at mysandman
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Welcome and thanks for sharing!

If this isn't the best 'first' post by a member I don't know what is, thanks heaps for taking the time to upload you photos and tell us your story.

I agree with Blocker. That's one hell of an introduction.

Awesome story and 900k is pretty amazing too. How many engine rebuilds has it had over that time?

PS. <--- Flamenco and 18v too.

Thread Information