Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic Club Rego - Ups & Downs

Yeah, but at about $60.00 a year you can learn to live with it.

I'm going to put my van and one of my Toranas on club rego next year just to save the costs of full rego and comprehensive insurance.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Have you seen the plates? Fugly! I wouldn't hang them on any of my cars.
    If it saves me $1500 to have red van and ute on club I am not bothered what the plates say. It means we can take them to shows or Club runs
    Jb
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyHZ253 View Post
    If it saves me $1500 to have red van and ute on club I am not bothered what the plates say. It means we can take them to shows or Club runs
    Jb
    And for short (?) maintenance runs when necessary! I need to drive 25km just to get fuel, so the restrictions on when and where you can drive are a little more relaxed in country areas. You just keep your log book up to date. I've never had a problem.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

I've just put mine on club rego code 404. All I have to have on my plates is the word Historic with the font being 25 mm high. Doesn't look too bad and saves me some decent money.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadVan View Post
    I've just put mine on club rego code 404. All I have to have on my plates is the word Historic with the font being 25 mm high. Doesn't look too bad and saves me some decent money.
    I could probably live with that!

as said previously depends on the club, both my wb and my cobra are eligible for club plates in my club, given that the cobra is only 16 years old there are certain loop holes, such as replicas of original vehicles that are originally older than the 25 year rule in vic.
    My club is happy to have the wb on club plates with 7" hotwires but there are a couple of monaros pushing the limits with bits sticking through the bonnets and fugly looking large diameter wheels.
    when you think of the money spent on some of these cars, some over the $100k mark, you wonder why they cant afford full rego.
    Both my cars are on full rego as i dont like the restrictions, but i can see the advantages, but i dont like people telling me when i can and cant use my cars.
    Driver -1981 WB kingswood 253 4 speed
    Weekend- AC Cobra replica 302ho(425hp) 4 speed toploader
    Project Complete- SLR 5000 LH mock up(next door Neighbors)
    never late in a 5.0 litre

Cruiser
    I'm heavily involved in the HRCS scheme in NSW & IMHO there is too much 'abuse' of the system. Now I'm only talking about the NSW system here, other states' rules are totally different.

The RTA (now the RMS) have laid down some very simple rules & have left it up to the car clubs to administer, in other words it should be self regulating.

To quote the RTA:-

"1. An historic vehicle must be 30 years of age or older as from the year of manufacture.
    2. Vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with NO alterations except for
    safety features such as seat belts and turn indicators or period accessories and options,
    if desired."

No mention of big blocks or triples carbies in there !!

Many clubs out there have 'stretched' the term "period accessories and options" to mean just about any modification that was around at the time. Does the RTA's wording "NO alterations" mean no modifications ? I think it does.

The main bone of contention from my point of view is, what is that fine line between an accessory & a modification ? Period (legal size) alloys & chrome air cleaners etc. are accessories (to me anyway), engine transplants, monster brakes & 20" alloys are modifications.

In the future there may well be a scheme for modified cars & street machines etc., along the lines of street rod rego, but it doesn't exist at the present time. But bending the rules of the current historic system can only end in grief & we could possibly lose what we have now.

Dr Terry

That's what my club is worried about Dr Terry,

It seems that if a modified car is pulled up on historic plates, then the club and the relevant inspector is going to cop some backlash as well as the car owner. All the blokes in my club with their Rovers, Simcas, Peugeots, etc.... on club plates won't let that happen, so they are pretty strict about who gets plates.

Remember that it isn't really rego, it's a permit to drive a roadworthy, unregistered vehicle on public roads for club oriented activities.

Not sure in other states but in WA car has to be stock as it left the factory so no extractors etc. Can have dealer approved accessories such as bumper overiders, rear venetian etc. Condition of use is club events, road testing prior to club events, to get fuel, occasional driving to keep the car operating properly eg oils system cooling system, battery charging, to get mechanical repairs.

Yep, same in NSW.

Thread Information