Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Persian Sand Sandman?

Sandman Guru
    Do you have any ID off the car, even the chassis or engine numbers off rego papers? What dealer? I might be able to find it. It was a 308 4spd. Did it have air, steer or LSD?

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Seems to me the HQ and HJ Sandman was far more popular early on with the surfer crowd who actually drove and parked their cars so preferred the better vision windows provided and just fitting curtains for privacy when getting changed and sleeping.... HX and HZ seem to be when the customisers really hit the van scene and no windows or stripes were preferred for custom paint jobs and murals.
    Sean I don't know of any "Surfer" in the 1970's that could afford a brand new Sandman. I grew up on the coast and beaches and most surfers were unemployed bums who were extremely lucky if they had a rusted out EK or EJ wagon, maybe a rusty Kombi. Sandman and Surfers was only an advertising pitch/seed where I come from.

Hey HK1837, Only info I have is I purchased the car from Don Lee Motors in Broken Hill, 308, 4 speed, No air, No Power Steer, No LSD, Rego GXO-229. I traded the HQ to David Vodic Motor in Broken Hill for a new Celicia. Colin Harvey the bought the car from them and that is the last I know of it. I only had the car for 12 months, Cheers
    Last edited by HZSanFan; 17-02-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Sandman Guru
    If you can remember what month you bought it in we have a chance of maybe finding it, but not a very big chance unless we know which assembly plant built it. You don't know which plant built it? Being Broken Hill probably Pagewood (Sydney) but possibly also Adelaide. Did it have a body colour firewall or was it black?

P Plater
    hi guys .just saw this thread. the hj is my van but unfortunatly its not persian sand its nutria. cheers

Hi HK1837, Firewall was black and I would be pretty sure it was built at Elizabeth as the local dealer was supplied via Adelaide, I just found an old log book that I used to keep for my cars on trips and the Capri's last entry was 10/74 and the first one for the Kingswood was 12/74 (went down to Adelaide to Suzi Quatro), 8 gallons from Broken Hill to Yunta, (about 125 miles),so I must have been pushing it a bit..lol..Cheers

Sandman Guru
    So it must be a late Elizabeth HQ, probably 9/74 to be Persian Sand. Unfortunately Elizabeth HQ records are missing from 7/74 to the end of HQ so we'll never find her :-(
    Last edited by HK1837; 17-02-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Sean I don't know of any "Surfer" in the 1970's that could afford a brand new Sandman. I grew up on the coast and beaches and most surfers were unemployed bums who were extremely lucky if they had a rusted out EK or EJ wagon, maybe a rusty Kombi. Sandman and Surfers was only an advertising pitch/seed where I come from.
    I tend to agree with ya there Innuendo lol

Thread Information