Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Persian Sand Sandman?

Sandman Guru
    Sean, HX-HZ Persian Sand 1925 is different to HJ Persian Sand 1900. 1925 is the ONLY HX colour, all the rest are carryover HJ colours. Not sure what the actual formula difference is but I pulled tags off a HJ example in the 80's and the colour looks different to the HX colour. It almost looks redish or sort of has a burnt copper look. It was an Acacia Ridge build so has 2x tags painted in original colour, you can see them on my website in the Sandman section. Car had been resprayed hence the bit of fur on the ADR tag and the RH edge of the BODY tag, may have even been done in 1925. But under the bonnet was all original 1900, you can see that the colour is going to be one of thosr chameleon colours like Sepia that change drastically depending on the light.

Hi Byron, thanks and I am aware HJ is different to HX/HZ. HJ is Persian Sand ... and HX/HZ is Persian Sand MK2 which is a darker shade than 1900. MK2 looks better and as you say is redder than 1900.

The van I am looking at is an XX7 HJ 308 4 sp with windows, Persian Sand with Gazelle interior. It's currently painted red and has a HQ Statesman 308 in it so engine not original. If I end up buying it I will be really conflicted with returning it to original colour or going with another colour......
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Sandman Guru
    I reckon it would be OK, especially if you choose to fit HJ stripes which were white with 1900. Would look pretty cool as it will almost be unique, remember cars in this colour wouldn't start appearing until 3/76 and then would all be finished at the end of HJ production late May into early June 1976.

Non original engine smells to me like a chance for an injected 304!

My mates Dad had a HZ 253 ute in it in about 1980.. We used to drive around in it. Looked really good.

I am noticing more European cars around in light metallic brown these days. Ill be painting mine in the original Cognac. You cant just have yellow and red Sandmans driving around.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

It's a 4/75 build date Byron... Funny thing is the IIQT5***** engine has a cast date of 4/74.

It's a HJ so will put HJ stripes on it.... White stripes would look ok I suppose... Still not a fan of brown though, even in metallic.
    Last edited by Absinth; 04-12-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Sandman Guru
    Sorry Sean, I had blinkers on and was typing from memory. It is one of the original HJ colours that carried over into late HJ, forgot about that. I have 13 Sandmans recorded in that colour, but oddly 8 of them are Acacia Ridge bodies. Odd, doesn't normally work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Funny thing is the IIQT5***** engine has a cast date of 4/74.
    So it's got a Statesman engine fitted.

My van is a Persian Sand MkII and even after sitting out in the weather for 20yrs it come up a treat with a good polish Shame I'm bare metaling it, but the newer the paint is, the shiner its gonna be :D haha
    Cheers,
    Matt

My WB Ute Build:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...te-Shed-Thread

My HZ Sandman Panelvan Replica:
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...nelvan-Replica

WHERE ARE YOU BHZ29069A!?!?!?

Well..... I bought her....

Rod and I went for a road trip to Canberra to look at the Sandman and the bugger just jumped on the trailer wanting to come home with me. Rod was kind enough to drive down with me in his ute and trailer and tow her home for me... She is now sitting in my garage awaiting some loving.

what is she I hear you all ask?????
    She is a 4/75 HJ Sandman, L31, M21, Persian Sand with Fawn (Gazelle) interior. She has factory fitted side windows, factory fitted air conditioning and a factory fitted LSD. She has a little rust in the roof, a little more in the rear quarters, a little here and there but overall not too bad. Paint is original with original blackouts, we can't find any evidence of the Sandman decals ever having been fitted.

overall I am very happy with my new purchase....... How much you ask???? $6000...... Plus brekky and lunch for Rod and a full tank of fuel. Can't complain about that, all in all a pretty good deal.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Oh yeah........ She is a Brissy built XX7 stamped...... Ooh yeah....

That was a good pick-up. Congratulations on your acquisition.
    Good specs aside from the side glass. I don't hate the colour as it is period to the date and should remain in my opinion.
    I think done right it could look very special. At least different from the other sheep!

Thread Information