Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to stoke or not to stroke

to stoke or not to stroke

I am weighing up what sort of motor to build for my XX7 HQ Sandy car will restored to factory motor will look factory but considering stroking it, not knowing a lot about the process would be interested in feedback on the pros and cons, just want a good cruiser with a bit of grunt have had the heads rebuild with bigger valves L34 style, motor will most likely have stock exhaust manifold Rochester carbie etc, also in Wollongong area does anybody know of or suggest anyone that could build me a motor in the gong or nearby, cheers

Its very hard to get meaningful information without giving the most important detail - your budget.

Good idea though, always like a factory-appearance but detailed engine.

Anyway speaking generally re pros and cons - if you're rebuilding an engine (boring, new pistons and rings, grind crank, resize rods, new bolts, balance, etc. etc.) arguably you may as well go a stroker while you're at it.

355 is the simplest 308 stroker (i.e. there's 370, 383, 396 and bigger) and there is tonnes of informatation on the internet about them. If you're considering head work then a lot of people are going to say don't waste money on HQ heads, go VN.

Sandman Guru
    I'd say yes, but to go to 350ci don't use a red engine. Get a late VR engine. Will still have a "1974" date code, and will already be relieved for the 3.48" stroke crank, plus it'll still be standard bore. And have good rods already.
    Rebuild as a 350ci engine. Simply bolt on some L34 spec red heads and HQ manifold and exhaust. Just run a tow spec cam. Thing will be a torque monster. But don't run a manual unless it is a Muncie, use a TH400.

Question: Does the HQ have it's original motor? If so in my view you must retain it. You can stroke it if you like (just keep away from Pro-Comp kits).
    You have quite a few capable engine builders in the 'gong. Shane McDonald "Shanes Race Engines" is one.

I do question why you would want to throw money into stroking though. As you state it's a cruiser and 308 will motor a HQ around the streets quite well.

Seeing as genuine L31, M21 HQ Sandman's are rare as hens teeth. I'd be doing it as factory as possible. No way would I consider anything thing else. The value in that car is factory original.
    Like I said you can stroke it if you really want a little more power (although not sure where you will need or use it) but retain it as factory as possible.

2 cents spent!

Sandman Guru
    I was assuming you no longer have the original engine. If you do keep the block under the bench in the shed, unless you are going to do it original. If you are going modified eg stroked don't use the original block. And I wouldn't use an M21 behind anything other than a stock or near stock 308!

As above....original motor=keep it original.

If you do end up going for a stroker, I don't think the stock exhaust manifold will suit the engine. After all that work, you want it to breathe well.

Go the 333ci crank....they rev like you wouldn't believe!!! A mate has 333 stroker in his vc burnout car and it happily sits at 8500rpm all day.

Best if luck with mate

Sandman Guru
    They are actually normally about 327ci, just depends on how much meat is on the crank journal and what bore you use. Probably not a cost effective option today given how cheap 350ci stuff is, plus there is a lot more machining required for the offset ground stroker.

Thanks for feedback guys think I will just be going along the same lines I did for the HZ reco, heads, maybe roller rockers and a bit of a cam mostly stock except for probably a manifold as I would imagine its hard to get an original that's usable just wanted to throw it out there cheers

Sandman Guru
    The one thing really good on a HT-HJ 308 is the manifold. Keep it, they are basically as good as an Edelbrock Performer. Stroking is the key, but cam, heads and properly setup carb to match the engine and exhaust will wake one of these up.

Hi hqhzvans nice to see another Wollongong local in here, just thought you might be interested to know there's a cheap 355 crank in nowra on gumtree. Fingers crossed it's not part of a pro comp kit. I think there's a decent set of pistons on there separately also. Spotted it when searching for some parts kept an eye on it with half a mind to try it myself, so it's interesting to read this.
    HK is there a reason you say you wouldn't use a manual behind a 355 stroker? I've identified that I've got a w59 supra box which I've read was the stronger of the w series but not much in it.

Sorry to hijack hqhzvans and goodluck

Thread Information