Thread: Brake rotor and drum brands.

Brake rotor and drum brands.

Hi folks,

I have cause to be looking at new rotors all round for the ford wagon and new rotors and drums for the ute (tell me again why everything wears out at the same time?). Having been off the tools for a very long time now (so am out of touch with recent performance of the brands and/or products) I'm looking at people's opinions (and why they hold them, not just "my mate sez....") into the pros and cons of the various brands - RDA, DBA, Repco (used to be DBA?), any other brand I've missed or forgotten and (heaven almost forbids....) ebay sellers.

What are your experiences with each and would you buy them again if you had to?

My initial intention was to buy a set of DBA slotted rotors with Bendix ultimate pads for the wagon and similar for the front of the HJ, and with bendix linings and (whichever?) brand of rear drums (originals are getting a bit too deeply scored to machine now).

All the applicable calipers and wheel cylinders will be recieving appropriate attention at the same time as the new components are installed.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Sandman Guru
    DBA or RDA HJ discs are only about $50 or so a piece. I just bought new PBR discs for the front of the V2 Monaro at about $50 each. Possibly only DBA do rear drums for HQ-WB.

Cruiser
    I do this for a living.

For a daily driver forget slotted rotors etc. & any of the common brand stock rotors are basically similar. I find even for heavy around-town use fit Bendix GCT pads. Good quality, dustless, noisefree & quick bed-in. Ultimate pads take longer to bed in & their cold performance is not flash.

With Ford rear drums, always fit new cylinders with new shoes & get the shoes radius ground to match the drums after they are machined.

Dr Terry

Cheers guys, thank you for the input. Pretty well confirmed what I was thinking originally that the combo I was suggesting here would have been overkill. I was basically trying to get more pedal feel and response out of a standard falcon wagon set up that I'm predominantly using for commuting to/from the NW to the airport (Epping Rd etc).

Having been spoilt with my previous daily driver (a Golf that was a few years newer than the wagon) and the FG mkII XR6T I recenty bought my wife (which has the PBR upgraded brakes fitted to it) I was chasing a similar stopping power and pedal feel to both of those cars, without the brembo pricetag....

Thanks again.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information