Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dual Fuel conversion

this is duel fuel setup on my tonner 2 gas tanks one petrol excellent to run on gas and economical i have it tuned more towards gas as i use it more often i like the idea of having petrol as a jerry can can be used to get me going if need be,
    this is straight gas on my panelvan looks a lot better has a gas carbie its economical too but has more power as is tuned for it

of the two i would still have duel fuel i like the security of having petrol i lose a little power but i have massive range with two gas tanks and one fuel,
    my tonner end up costing me $500 to have tanks restamped i had the sytem off another car so ran the lines and had a mechanic hook up the ends and certify it costing about $700

as far as efi goes i was thinking of putting that into my panelvan as i am restoring it at the minute, it would be a nice power increase good economy with the 4 speed the let downs are the $700 worth of wiring i have been quoted to match it into my van, the look i dont like the look of efi in an older car, if anything goes wrong i dont know how to fix it every things electric and foreign to me, if i was you, if you use the car everyday and just want better economy, i would buy a ute with a gas system on it (not a really old system) you should be able to get a ute for about $1000 transfer it onto your ute leaving the ends for a mechanic to hook up as he has to certify it and will want to ensure no leaks/ couplings are good etc you may need the tank stamped so if you allow $1000 for a ute $1000 for the mechanic you should be right and you have a ute sitting there to on sell or part out the spare ute will still be drivable on petrol may just need a tune,
    if thats all too hard come see me ill pull a complete system off sit it in the back of your ute for $200-$300 (depending on what the bloke i wreck the cars with wants) we both own half of everything, go get the tank stamped and pay a mechanic, either way your still up for $1500- $2000 for a second hand system or pay $2000- $3000 for a new one

Banned
    Don't drive an old v8 if you are after economy. Or just look at the positive, use as much of the bloody stuff as you can before it runs out. Also don't let too much of it get wasted in 4 cylinder cars.

P Plater
    wbute I dont think that you understand my situation here. I have a 253 V8 that I will be driving daily, and I want to make it as cheap to run as possible. SANM4N thanks for your advice. I also like the idea of dual fuel, I would most likely run it on gas more often than not, simply because it should be a bit cheaper. Power for me isn't too much of an issue. I'm not going to be driving it to go fast, I'll be driving it to get places. Can you make a dual fuel motor look like your van's motor? I'm only sixteen and have only been interested in old holdens for about 3 years, so I'm still pretty simple when it comes to the mechanical side of things. My rough plan is to ask the parents to pay for a gas system, and then eventually pay it off, so a new system could be a good way to go.

Sandman Guru
    Another way forward might be a conversion to a 173? It'll be a lot cheaper than LPG and use less fuel. Save the V8 for later! What month/year HZ?

P Plater
    its a 78. im pretty well set on the 253 haha, I do have a 202 in it at the moment.

Option 1372.
    Increase the thermal efficiency of what you have got.
    1, Small extractors and exhaust.
    2, Electronic dissy.
    3, Get the carby rebuilt (by an expert).
    4, Match them all with a good tune.

Some more compression would be nice (but thats a little harder to obtain)
    you should get a 10-20% effeciency gain if
    a, then engines in reasonable condition to start with, and
    b, you drive "maturely"

Or option 7462750128734
    lf you dont carry a load, install a taller diff ratio, or better still, go to a 5 speed.

Chrisp

Sandman Guru
    I agree, leave the 6cyl if you are worried about fuel usage. An LPG dual fuel 253 won't go much better if at all than a 202 with properly setup HEI dizzy and a decent exhaust.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    Option 1372.
    Increase the thermal efficiency of what you have got.
    1, Small extractors and exhaust.
    2, Electronic dissy.
    3, Get the carby rebuilt (by an expert).
    4, Match them all with a good tune.

Some more compression would be nice (but thats a little harder to obtain)
    you should get a 10-20% effeciency gain if
    a, then engines in reasonable condition to start with, and
    b, you drive "maturely"

Or option 7462750128734
    lf you dont carry a load, install a taller diff ratio, or better still, go to a 5 speed.

Chrisp
    That's good advice.

hmm well considering your 16 your not legally supposed to have a 253, i dont know of any states that allow a p plater to (it didnt stop me when i was on ps but i got caught so you have to way that up)
    i believe there is a duel fuel gas system that will allow you to have a nice aircleaner i havnt seen one though, the reason i had the chrome air cleaner on the gas system was because it had a gas carbie that carbie will not run petrol through it, i can understand your mindset at the minute even if it makes more sense to have the 202 you want a v8 and are determined to do what it takes to increase efficiency possibly as a way of selling the idea to your parents too, its up to you really speak to a local gas converion joint see what they have

Thread Information