Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual Fuel conversion

Sandman Guru
    A whole fuel injected 5 litre engine out of a VN/VQ-VSIII Commodore or Statesman, plus associated 4spd auto transmission.

You can see the cars aren't all that expensive to buy:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-St...#ht_223wt_1143
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VQ-1990-H...#ht_235wt_1143

The engine is the same basic engine as a HJ-early WB auto 308. Just change the sump, pickup, engine mount adapters and dipstick and it'll bolt straight into a HQ-WB, uses the same fan and water pump as a WB so basically works with the right shroud. Using a TH350 gearbox crossmember it just about works at the back too, plus uses a HQ-HZ TH400 speedo cable and T-bar shifter.

There is a reasonably significant amount of stuffing around with fuel and wiring but nothing that bad, and nowadays you can buy a throttle cable ready to go. With a Statesman you get the cruise module and attachments too and this works off the same speed sensor as the engine, so just needs a few switches on the dash and brake pedal to give you cruise as well.

It is not really a conversion for an absolute novice but it is reasonably straightforward, just a few pitfalls to be wary of.
    Last edited by HK1837; 02-10-2013 at 08:20 PM.

P Plater
    I don't really want to go down that path mate. I want to keep it as original looking as possible. Any other information about a dual fuel set up would be excellent though ahah

Banned
    Dual fuel? Why? If you want to keep it looking original it won't. Ugly gas converter and you loose your spare wheel. You are better off doing a fuel injection conversion as HK says.

Hi Doug,
    I say you should have chats with blokes that have gas on still because people I know and including the Tonner I drive (253 Manual) it actually works out Dollar per kilometer gas is about the same,there-for the gas doesn't get used unless it's a long trip or like me take it off the vehicle all together.
    If you are looking at the investment$$ and how long to re-coup the saving's my way of thinking it's not worth the effort

Hope fully some one will have a ute like yours and give you the 'good oil'.

Good luck

P Plater
    The one and only reason why I want to put gas in it as well is for efficiency. If it isn't going to save me any money then it certainly isn't worth doing. Mine will be a 253 4 speed as well. i will have to look into it a bit before making a decision. What are everyone's experiences with gas efficiency? Is it worth the hassle and cost?

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    It may not be worth it in the end. It may be more cost effective to do a 304 EFI conversion which will probably get similar economy (in kM/$ of fuel terms)
    Byron, I run several newer Holdens with both the 304 EFI motor, plus an injected LPG dual fuel system. It has got to best the combo out there. It is both bullet-proof & economical.

Dr Terry

Cruiser
    Hi Doug, I don't use my Sandman as my daily driver so it tends to be used for a cruise. I suspect the cheapest part of owning the car therefore is the petrol. If your a bit the same it would take another 35 years to break even on the cost of fitting. I measure the fuel economy in "Smiles per gallon"

P Plater
    I will be using my ute as a daily driver, so if putting dual fuel in the ute saves me a considerable amount of money, I'm all for it haha

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    Byron, I run several newer Holdens with both the 304 EFI motor, plus an injected LPG dual fuel system. It has got to best the combo out there. It is both bullet-proof & economical.

Dr Terry
    I wasn't talking about the new injected LPG system on an injected engine, I was referring to an old carby 253 with an old style gas system on it. Can you actually fit LPG injections systems onto an old carby fed motor nowadays?

Banned
    The only gas system on a 253 that is efficient will be a motor running on straight gas, such as gas research system.

Thread Information