Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 350 hq wagon

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Got your red hat and glasses on?
    Probably will have to, so I blend in!

I've come into this thread a long way in, but if someone is seriously after a HQ wagon with a 350 in it, then I've got a mate that lives in Blacktown NSW that has one in his garage in some form of disassembly. He took it off the road back in the late '80's and was going to do a full rebuild on it and lost interest.

I reckon he'd sell it if he got the right offer......
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Is it one of the genuine ones. Apparently there were only 4.

Sandman Guru
    Only 4 x Dandenong build, which is where a lot of the specials seem to come from. I think there may have been a handfull at Pagewood as well, maybe not Premier wagons but other similar stuff.

I never meant to say the car is currently more valuable than a HQ Sandman, just putting the wagon into perspective as I reckon it is/will be more collectable that most HQ Sandmans in the end. Buying a HQ Sandman in any given condition, a person is only paying top dollar for what it was, the individual components of the car probably aren't worth what the perceived car is worth. Whereas that wagon would have a lot of value in parts, it would wreck out to a value that would surprise a few. 308 HQ Sandmans will always be worth having, but I can't see 253 or 6cyl versions being wanted more than a 350 powered HQ. I guess we'll wait and see! Someone please remember to open this thread again in 15 years!

I would like to know why Holden didn't use the 350 in the commercial range. A 350 hq sandman would have been the ultimate van.

The wagon in question is already more valuable than any hq sandman in my eyes. It deserves to be restored ... not parted out.
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 30-09-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Sandman Guru
    I agree that it shouldn't be parted out, but unless someone can see it for what it is that unfortunately will probably be its fate, like most HQ 350 Devilles.

The 350 was used in HQ utes and vans, it just wasn't part of the normal ordering process although if you knew how to use the ordering system and knew a dealer who'd stick their neck out for you it was easily do-able. The reason 350 wasn't used in HQ Sandman would be twofold. Firstly the Sandman was seen by GMH as a sports add-on package not as a vehicle. Bagshaw went to the market (for vans anyway) and asked them what they wanted, and that was basically GTS bits on a van, buyer chose the driveline. Secondly, most Sandmans would be manuals and there were no more 350 manuals by the time Sandman was released, and 350 auto were all but finished as well other than in Deville. Before the end of 1973 the 400ci Chev was dropped from upcoming HJ as well, not 100% sure why but I suspect cost as well as the improved performance 308 in upcoming HJ easily matched the performance of the 1974/5 US smogged up 400.

So what is the general consensus on the value of the wagon, is it worth the 8k plus he is asking or is it closer to 6-7 grand

Thanks for that info

I guess it leaves one dreaming of 'what if' (they had 350 sandmans)

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hqhzvans View Post
    So what is the general consensus on the value of the wagon, is it worth the 8k plus he is asking or is it closer to 6-7 grand
    I reckon close to $12k or more, but that is just an opinion. It is worth what the buyer pays for it!

Agree with Byron. Maybe even a fraction more considering it has some racing heritage behind it too

Thread Information