Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 350 hq wagon

cool bit of history, starting bid looks to me to be about what you would want to pay as a fixer upper

Cruiser
    With all this coming to light, I guess it is a reasonable start price. The old 'cost to rebuild' will always come into play, and while it may be rare and collectable in it's own right, it's still an orange wagon in need of a rebuild.

Leadfoot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dago View Post
    With all this coming to light, I guess it is a reasonable start price. The old 'cost to rebuild' will always come into play, and while it may be rare and collectable in it's own right, it's still an orange wagon in need of a rebuild.
    The fact is that at the end of the resto, you'd have a great weekend cruiser, and own one of the rarest Holdens made.

I'd love to take her on!

Plus it's an HQ!
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Sandman Guru
    If it was a HQ Sandman or SS people would be all over it. This is much rarer and just as or more desirable and collectable, just the bulk of people have blinkers on and don't understand the significance of the car, and we all probably understand that too. WOuld be a very good car to restore as it wouldn't cost the earth to buy and get bits for.

Banned
    Yeah any HQ with factory 350 has to be valuable. Great example of getting the car you want because of who you knew.

Sandman Guru
    It is funny how people get all excited over HQ SS's, and I get the significance of the cars but there were around 2800 of them made which is very common in the scheme of things and they were really only a HQ Belmont sedan with a 253, 4spd and a few other bits and pieces. I know the SS is essentially exactly what a HQ Sandman is on a ute or van but we are talking somewhere near 10% of that number and you could get a 308 in them. Outside of Statesman Deville these 350 powered HQ's are a very limited build car even where they were a normal production item. Here are the build numbers of the actual vehicles available with 350 to display what I mean:

HQ LS: 213
    HQ XW8: 212 (plus a handful more after HQ Elizabeth records ceased, maybe 230 or so).
    HQ 1837: 402

So these cars are sitting down less than A9X and L34 numbers for the LS and XW8, and getting close to the 150 x final spec XU-1's. They are not purpose built race cars but they are premium performance, so the top spec version of their respective models. I guess you can see why I get a bit cynical about the prices being asked for SLR5000's where there were 1000's made when you can buy any of those listed above cheaper.
    Also shows how this HQ wagon would at least be extremely valueable as a parts donor to an owner of one of the 91 x LS's, 208 x 1837's or 65 x XW8's built in Dandenong that was misssing its original driveline. They aren't going to find the parts anywhere else.

Ive heard that 3 or 4 of these wagons made, so you dont have to be a genius to figure out that its one of the rarest hqs made

People dictate the price of cars that they find desirable because of the 'want' factor through demand. Either they want what they had once or they wanted one once and now are chasing.
    Rarity doesn't factor into this for 99% of people wanting to relive a time in their lives. Thus the reason some or these low spec poverty Sandman's pull reasonably high dollars.

As for how many would find a HQ Station Wagon high on their list? Over say a Sandman, Monaro or Torana they oh so wanted or had in the 1970's or '80's?

It's a cool optioned wagon and deserves to be restored and loved. But the financial asking seems insane (unless like Byron states you want part it out for a Monaro) which would be a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    It's a cool optioned wagon and deserves to be restored and loved.
    I agree completely

Thread Information