Thread: help needed to id my hj ute

Learner Driver

help needed to id my hj ute

trying to establish if its a sandman or not. compliance plates state its a kingswood ute but the sandman website doesnt discount it being a sandman. it has got white needle gts dash, courtesy lights in doors, integrated aircon. car year is 9/75, L32, m40, gu7 rear axle (what diff is this?). colour code is deauville blue metallic. any info would be appreciated. thanks ty

g'day Tja, welcome to the forums hope you find what you're looking for.

That's a tough one, do you have the original glovebox lid with the tyre placard details? That would really help with this identification.

Learner Driver
    bought ute in pieces had no glove box lid. original floor shift, buckets, gts dash and steering wheel. do you know if all utes had seating capacity 2 or 3, as mine has 3 but has factory buckets. its very confusing as one lot of info contradicts the next lot of info. do you know of any hj sandman utes in perth? i may be able to compare compliance info. thanks for your help. ty

Quote Originally Posted by tja View Post
    bought ute in pieces had no glove box lid. original floor shift, buckets, gts dash and steering wheel. do you know if all utes had seating capacity 2 or 3, as mine has 3 but has factory buckets. its very confusing as one lot of info contradicts the next lot of info. do you know of any hj sandman utes in perth? i may be able to compare compliance info. thanks for your help. ty
    To be honest. the 3 seat cap = no sandman. It must have had a bench seat at one stage. Unless its a brissy build with XX7 on the plates and the 3 seat cap is a mistake. Sadly your ute you will never be able to convice anyone its a sandman.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Banned
    They all had seating capacity of 2. It would need to have the console mounts on the floor pans as well as the floor shift hole.
    It will still be a nice ute to restore.

It is possible that the 3 seats is a mistake. If it has XX7 on the plates it is a Sandman. But if it was not made in Brisbane and therefore does not have the XX7 on the plates then it would be really hard to convince anyone that it was a Sandman as proving it is a mistake would be difficult. Looking for signs of it being originally a 2 seater could be useful but not definitive. Someone with more knowledge than me might be able to tell the difference between factory floor mounted console brackets and ones added later on I guess.

It may be a Sandman with a mistake on the tags and if it was then that would be great for you to know that and appreciate the ute but difficult to convince others of its status.

At the end of the day they are really all just the same and apart from the perceived value and therefore increased prices of a genuine Sandman just as much fun to own , drive and enjoy.

if it hasnt got xx7 the console mount brackets are the answer to the puzzle..if they are there and you can get some decent quality pics i could say yes or no to the originality per factory..

L32=high comp 253, M40=trimatic column or floor shift, Gu7=2.78:1
    Last edited by CURSED; 06-07-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tja View Post
    i have one, but yeah 3 seater = no cigar
    whats the GVM KG capacity outta interest?
    are you building a replica?
    Last edited by adam perth; 07-07-2010 at 12:25 AM.
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Learner Driver
    hi adam,
    gvw is 2200kg. bought it in pieces, rust free and straight, even the well body floor is immaculate. had it for 15 years still trying to find time to restore it. ty

Thread Information