Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do all new cars look the same?

Unhappy Why do all new cars look the same?

I've been watching TV all this afternoon and about a squillion car adds for all sorts of different modern "clown cars" were bombarding every add break.

Every new car looks the same, and yet they all claim their "new styling" and other bulls##t is revolutionary.

I cannot believe how the Australian public can watch this rubbish and actually go out and buy a new car.

Don't get me started on the fact that all the Australian dollars are heading overseas (Asia) and that the Australian car industry is going down the toilet.....

Seriously, even the VF Holden looks like a Mazda! I'm so glad I was born when I was and had the privilege to grow up playing with REAL cars that looked different to each other.

OK.....Whinge over.....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Sandman Guru
    Remember all our GMH cars back then were styled in the US or Europe based upon their recent trends. Just look at the FB, it is '57 Chev/Pontiac/Buick all over.
    Plus no-one wants to go it alone as they don't want a flop, look at what happened with the AU Falcon.

to some people hq through to wb look exactly the same, ive had people point to a wb ute and say look its the same as your car (i had a hj ute) and when my HX panelvans done if i park it next to my hz tonner i know people are going to say why do you have two of the same car even though its a hx fair enough J to Z look similar but to those people its weird, probably the same as we think there cars are weird the only appeal i see for the newer cars is the running gear i never thought id want to put an injected motor in one of my cars i love carbies but they are just cheap power

I was also fortunate to grow up when they made car's with steel bumper bars Big Rob. I could spot a car a long way off and knew what it was instantly, every make and model had it's own identity.

For me, it all began when Ford started building the XD series and Holden began the commodore. Vehicles started being manufactured with more and more plastic, and I lost the ability to spot the type of car and I also no longer admired them. It just got progessively worse to the point where they all look the same now.

Whether their appearance is to do with aerodynamics to achieve better fuel usage, or for improved occupant safety I don't know. I sure miss the 60's & 70's when a new model was a really genuine exciting time, especially in the lead up races to Bathurst.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

It all has to do with "World Cars" meaning they are styling salable throughout the world. Companies don't want local only vehicles when there is a potential world market.
    The rot started with the re-badged ISUZU Gemini and the Mitsubishi takeover of Chrysler. Early Holden styling was US as Byron stated but the EJ was actually German (Opel) based design.
    This is something they went back to with the Opel Commodore. All said and done you need to look to 1974/76 for the switch to World Car designs and thinking.

Sheep design them and sheep keep buying them~!

I do like the new Camaro however, very nice.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Banned
    Nah it's an age thing. When you hit 30 every new car is no longer interesting. It's because your priorities change and your memories become something to cling to.

Cruiser
    Bathurst really makes you realise how similar the new cars are. You used to be able to easily pick the difference, now you need to know who sponsors what to support your team.

Cruiser
    Yep all new cars look the same.All the badges look like Honda? All music sounds the same? Polations? Tony Rudd?
    I'm getting old

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Nah it's an age thing. When you hit 30 every new car is no longer interesting. It's because your priorities change and your memories become something to cling to.
    Yep, you can't tell the difference cause you aren't interested. I can still sit by a road and name 99% of the makes and models. I'm sure that'll start changing soon as I care less and les about all the Chinese POS' on the roads.

Thread Information