Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HQ Sandman Ute restro

Cruiser
    Thats some good info

Quote Originally Posted by HQSandmanute View Post
    As I said at the start, I'm building it , how I want it.
    But if you check through enough old books/magazines, the 1st Sandman ute was built for Sydney Motor Show. It had a premier front and sbc. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I like the prem fronts as they look wider and lower. Plus you can put good high beam light in the inners.

From the factory, this one was 308, 4 speed. But it's had a sbc in since about 1985 when my mate owned it(and Sandmans weren't anything special back then) I built a 383 for it back then. The original 308, 4speed went into another HQ ute I had that I used for a tow car for my race car. Sold that ute to someone in brisbane in 89.
    Looks great, I like the colour, is that Tiger Mica? One thing though there was never a 350ci chev powered Sandman, the Sydney Motor Show car was the EWE'T, it was a concept car not a Sandman. I don't like the Prem front on a Ute, but as you say it's your car and you are building it your way, if we all liked exactly the same thing it would be a pretty boring sort of world (there are even some here who like WBs).
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

The paint is original color, safforon, but instead of silver mettalic in it, we mixed pearl into it.

Looks really great genuine HQ Sandman ute well done! Love the colour.

Saffron looks good on utes and vans, not so hot on wagons or sedans. (Maybe something to do with the amount of glass around it). My uncle had a saffron HQ wagon with a white roof and it looked horrible.

Your ute looks great!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by HQSandmanute View Post
    Also I have the GMH fitting instructions for the stripes, so that they can be put in exactly the right positions.
    any chance of a copy of those instructions or posting up a copy?
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Cruiser
    I love the Prem front. I'll put one on the ute when it gets locked away for a tidy up. You're remarkably knowledgeable and it's great that you can share this knowledge. Good work so far. Excellent..!

Thread Information