Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HQ Sandman Ute restro

Stripes.

I was lucky enough to buy half an original GMH set of stripes years ago that I had put away.
    I sent them to a signwriter to copy them. As they are originally screenprinted, and so old, he had a lot of trouble. But he ended up getting them all done, and doing me another full set.

If anyone is rebuilding a HQ Sandman, I can put you in contact with him, as he now has it saved into his computor program.
    These are exact copies of original stripes. Perfect.

I have noticed that a lot of restored Sandmans, the stripes aren't right. Some are close, others are not even close.
    Many signwriters machines can't cut them, because with them being so long and the 2 pinstripes, if their machine isn't perfect, it can't do it. I had a few people try to make them for me, that swore they could do it, but the machines couldn't.

Also I have the GMH fitting instructions for the stripes, so that they can be put in exactly the right positions.

Quote Originally Posted by HQSandmanute View Post
    As I said at the start, I'm building it , how I want it.
    But if you check through enough old books/magazines, the 1st Sandman ute was built for Sydney Motor Show. It had a premier front and sbc. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I like the prem fronts as they look wider and lower. Plus you can put good high beam light in the inners.
    Sure you can build whatever you like. I was simply stating I don't like it with a Prem front. I also state when I like something also!

From the factory, this one was 308, 4 speed. But it's had a sbc in since about 1985 when my mate owned it(and Sandmans weren't anything special back then) I built a 383 for it back then. The original 308, 4speed went into another HQ ute I had that I used for a tow car for my race car. Sold that ute to someone in brisbane in 89.
    I just spotted the banjo diff and was asking the question as you hadn't ever stated what is was factory. I understand plenty were prostituted over the period of years (I'm 100% guilty of it also). Today (personally) I like Sandman's to be original to the tags. I just feel the limited amount left deserve to be restored to factory spec. But as I said you can build whatever you like, it's your car. Public forums generally call for public comment is all.

Love your work, the Ute will look and go brilliantly.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Geez that's some driveline u got going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Sure you can build whatever you like. I was simply stating I don't like it with a Prem front. I also state when I like something also!

I just spotted the banjo diff and was asking the question as you hadn't ever stated what is was factory. I understand plenty were prostituted over the period of years (I'm 100% guilty of it also). Today (personally) I like Sandman's to be original to the tags. I just feel the limited amount left deserve to be restored to factory spec. But as I said you can build whatever you like, it's your car. Public forums generally call for public comment is all.
    All OK. Everyone has opinions.

The banjo was just chucked in there while it was getting painted. I swiped the 9" out to use in the panelvan while the ute wasn't going.

I think thats gonna look great. I like the idea of you keeping it fairly original but making a few changes like that. Still paying homage to the original concept... Should look really cool.

All OK. Everyone has opinions.

The banjo was just chucked in there while it was getting painted. I swiped the 9" out to use in the panelvan while the ute wasn't going.
    Makes sense, I just spotted the banjo and thought it may have been a factory 6Cyl Sandman Ute (Don't hear or see many). Anyway, I agree with others it will look great and should go like stink.

Cruiser
    Thats one killer ute mate! You love your horsepower too!

Cruiser
    Just out of intrest , you obviously have bilt some killer donks , what are the heads worth? Im building a 383 stroker at the moment but there are so many heads on the market theses days im getting confused! Any advise?

Quote Originally Posted by HJRAY View Post
    Just out of intrest , you obviously have bilt some killer donks , what are the heads worth? Im building a 383 stroker at the moment but there are so many heads on the market theses days im getting confused! Any advise?
    Yeh, Your right. There is plenty of good heads on the market these days. And as the dollar has been so good for the past couple of years the prices are cheap as. Although the Aussie dollar is falling a bit now the prices will start going up.
    It depends what your building, and how tough you want it to be. There are plenty of good heads for sale S/H. Brodix, AFR, RHS are all pretty good heads. I don't use ProComp heads/parts.
    If you get Brodix, some have both stud patterns on the exhaust ports, but most have the stahl bolt pattern to allow 2"+ primary pipes. While this is great on a race engine remeber that you can't buy off the shelf pipes with this flange pattern, and will have to get a set made.
    In saying that, we used a set of ported -10 Brodixs on the engine I built for my brother(in the pic) These came off a sprint car in the US, and got them for $1100 with roller rockers as well. Had to get custom pipes made. I gave Fat Pipes in Brisbane all the pipe sizes/lengths I wanted them made to and they did a great job on them. Overall, for the result we got it still ended up pretty cost effective.
    I'm using a set of 220cc AFR's on the 400 I'm building for my ute.

Also you need to think about what sort of driving your going to be doing, and what you expect out of your engine. How streetable you want it? fuel economy? all out HP? Send me a PM if you want

Thread Information