Thread: HQ Sandman ute trim code?

HQ Sandman ute trim code?

I have a HQ Sandman ute that has been getting restored for yrs. (8yrs to get painted)
    Looking on the guide you have listed, it shows the trim code suffix B. Mine is 1881 39E What does the E stand for?

I bought this ute from the 2nd owner in 88. It was brown/tan interior with houndstooth inserts in the seats.

It is a Kingswood ute, 80480, XX7, 5/74

Well the paint colour is Saffron
    The trim is Chestnut colour
    Pretty sure the "E" denotes it as having Kingswood trim.
    The would mean your Ute started life as a Kingswood and not a Belmont.

Quote Originally Posted by HQSandmanute View Post
    I have a HQ Sandman ute that has been getting restored for yrs. (8yrs to get painted)
    Looking on the guide you have listed, it shows the trim code suffix B. Mine is 1881 39E What does the E stand for?

I bought this ute from the 2nd owner in 88. It was brown/tan interior with houndstooth inserts in the seats.

It is a Kingswood ute, 80480, XX7, 5/74
    Byron has said that E (39E) in a Kingswood denoted bucket seats like B (39B) in a Belmont. Bit different but as HQ Kingswood utes are very rare, and most of our discussions centre around Belmont Panelvans, I guess it hasnt been highly advertised.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Sandman Guru
    As above, 39E is simply Chestnut vinyl for HQ Kingswood (bench or buckets). 39B is Brown bucket seats vinyl on HQ Belmont or cab chassis. 39A is the same for Belmont but bench seat.

The houndstooth trim is not original to 39E, and not available on Kingswood in HQ anyway. Houndstooth was only available on 1971-2 HQ GTS coupe in black/white or black/green and on first type HQ SS in black/white. On 1973-4 HQ Kingswood sedan and wagon 39 with cloth insert was 39G called Chestnut with Black/White Raydo cloth insert.
    Last edited by HK1837; 10-09-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: qualified bench or buckets for Kingswood

Thanks Byron. Was just wondering when I read the B suffix in the guide.

I'm not rebuilding mine back to exactly factory original anyway. More like how I think the factory should have built them. Nothing radically altered.
    The interior is same color. HQ seatsdone in as close as possible color to the original, but with light & dark brown houndstooth inserts. Suede doorlinings and hood lining. Same as factory color.

Thread Information