Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont think its a Kingswood

Learner Driver

Dont think its a Kingswood

Hi all, Quick run down I hav a PV V8 and iv owned it since i was teenager and being that age i didnt really respect it for wot it was, say few yrs later I started to realize it was a privileged to own one. I was still only early 20s and thought i should check the id on plates because the owner said to me it is/was a sandman but the shell was rusted out and he had a new shell put on i think even from a later model, that didnt bother me it was a v8, loud and wide illegal rims, anyway I contacted a few holden places and ended up somewhere over east and I was quickly shutdown by the holden representative. I was firmly told it had to have xx7 or xu3 otherwise it was not a sandman, although I didnt care as much kept her for along time but age is showing again, I have decided to now sell because if I spend money on fixing it up its still only a kingswood. Then Last Night I had some very wise words from a genuine holden enthusiast I dont want to get too excited till all the boxs r ticked but firstly has the integrity of its status been compromised by the shell being replaced that is my first Question can some confidently answer this cheers

Put the tags details up and someone will confirm what you really have

Learner Driver
    Hey mate thanks for the reply its looking good but obviously the plates have been moved because of new shell, chassis matches no P, 1950 CVW, two seater and all the good stuff, im just going to go check clove box soon, Is the shell relevant or will I get away with that among most, back soon hopefully with good news.

mate this debate has fired up a few times over the years. most will tell you its not a sandman because its has a new body. depends what you determine to be the heart n soul of the van i suppose
    BQZ

Sandman Guru
    For starters if it is a Kingswood it isn't a Sandman, there were no KIngswood Sandman panel vans. ID tags is a good start.

Leadfoot
    I'm going through the same dilema right now with my HQ, the body is stuffed, I will attempt to save it , but if beyond repair, I'll do a shell swap.
    I think the integrity is still there especially if tags chassis and eng no still match! Yes the value may be degraded slightly, but she's still a Sand man in my eyes.
    Byron, HK1837 is the guru of this stuff, and will be able to tell you with a degree of certainty what you have, and what colours it should be, what eng no you should have, all from the details on the tags.
    His info has been a god send to me!

Cheers, Scotty.

It sounds like you want to do it up because of the monitary value, if that's the case I'd say you're at the wrong starting point.
    A reshell isn't going to be worth the same money as all original, just like if it's had a motor swap at some point the value drops.

If you want to do it up because having a shiney sandman to drive is awesome, then you're completely on the right track. All those people I drive past who wave and give me the thumbs up never check if my spotwelds are correct for the year shown on the tags, hell, I bet they don't even notice I'm running hj gts wheelnuts on a hz!

Quote Originally Posted by ambientgoat View Post
    I bet they don't even notice I'm running hj gts wheelnuts on a hz!

Your not are you? That's it, off to the naughty corner for you!

Learner Driver

Tag clarification

hey Guru have a look at these for me I do need to clarify
    8M70TFJ5-----J

GVW- 1950
    Cap- 2
    Date- 12/75
    BHJ-----M

HJ8WM70
    1890- 19v
    568- 15953

L31 M21 GV4