Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HQ Sandman Overlander for Sale in WA

HQ Sandman Overlander for Sale in WA

not sure if this has been already posted but there is a seller has a rather grainy shot of what must have been the original HQ Ute with Super Chicken decals on Gumtree.
    Nearly on the Road

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kelle...to-/1025905882

Yeah it's been up many times before. Not sure the Superchicken photo was shown before though?

Anyone know what it was originally ? Paint , trim . Wm / wn etc...
    Edit autumn gold. 39 E Chestnut trim L31 M21 GV2 80480. Melb build.
    Last edited by adam perth; 07-09-2013 at 12:03 AM.

WOW would it have more value as an original overlander or a super chicken?

Spoke to the guy today and he bought it new and had the overlander done. he said the sandman stripes had disappeared from the dealership so they put the superchiken ones on instead. Does this make it an original super chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by jason.ruff View Post
    Does this make it an original super chicken?
    Not sure what you mean by original super chicken. These were a sticker kit not an optioned model like a Sandman.
    Basically you could either buy a new Ute or Van with your choice of a sticker kit Super Chicken or Water Splash as an option. Just like ordering a Ute or Van with a towbar or mudflaps.
    Or go in the Holden and buy a sticker kit over the spare parts counter to add to your pre-existing vehicle.

No such thing as an original Super Chicken outside of the promotional vehicles; they probably never left/sold with the decals on them either.

Sandman Guru
    I'll have to check up my notes from when I spoke to Leo, I think the chicken and splash were originally meant for HG. They didn't sell too well, and that fact partly led into the concept of a sports utility rather than a sticker kit which spawned firstly the Ewe't and the De-Van, both of which blended into the Sandman.

They were nothing more than a sticker kit.
    The promotional material states:

Introducing Water Splash
    or
    Introducing Super Chicken

On 1971 HQ Series Kingswood Ute

"Order a 'Water Splash or Super Chicken' decal on your next Holden Ute or Van from your nearest Holden Dealer"

Fact is the same 1971 promotional Ute had the Water Splash on the drivers side and the Super Chicken on the passenger side. This Ute also used different wheels on each side to show a different look.

Later multiple Vans would be done with the Super Chicken decals that toured the car shows with Holden. One of which was further modified into "De-Van"

Sandman Guru
    That is about right, except I think Peter Arcadipane designed them for the HG at first. I dont know why GMH advertised them only for the HQ Kingswood ute though, seems strange. I've tried to locate that double sided ute in the records but I can't find it, it is obviously a 1971 build by the lack of headrests.
    I think the De-van with the chicken on it actually started as the De-van and later got painted white and had the Chicken decals added.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    That is about right, except I think Peter Arcadipane designed them for the HG at first. I dont know why GMH advertised them only for the HQ Kingswood ute though, seems strange. I've tried to locate that double sided ute in the records but I can't find it, it is obviously a 1971 build by the lack of headrests.
    I think the De-van with the chicken on it actually started as the De-van and later got painted white and had the Chicken decals added.
    They weren't advertised for the Kingswood only, it was a Kingswood Ute they used for the promotion shots.
    "De-Van" was 100% after Super Chicken. In fact De-Van was on display in Sydney while a Super Chicken Van was on display in Melbourne.

Here I have dug up a couple of scans of the promo Kingswood Ute:

Thread Information