Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HQ Sandman Overlander for Sale in WA

Banned
    What an aweful looking thing.
    Does not look to be vertical Kingswood stainless trim behind the door. Hard to tell from that pic though.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    What an aweful looking thing.
    Does not look to be vertical Kingswood stainless trim behind the door. Hard to tell from that pic though.
    It doesn't even have wiper arms! Yes, awful and obvious why they didn't sell many sticker kits.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    They weren't advertised for the Kingswood only, it was a Kingswood Ute they used for the promotion shots.
    "De-Van" was 100% after Super Chicken. In fact De-Van was on display in Sydney while a Super Chicken Van was on display in Melbourne.

Here I have dug up a couple of scans of the promo Kingswood Ute:

That's the ute i've tried to find, but it has been elusive.

There were at least 2x Chicken vans getting around, one was a straight white van the other was the Devan repainted. I have pics of it in both guises.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    That's the ute i've tried to find, but it has been elusive.

There were at least 2x Chicken vans getting around, one was a straight white van the other was the Devan repainted. I have pics of it in both guises.
    Yes, that is basically what I had said, only the De-Van is repainted Chicken not the other way around. I also have the pictures and some other literature.
    Also while Peter "may" have started with his graphic decals for the HG (maybe?) It is clear by looking at the HQ Super Chicken that the decals are specifically designed to the HQ body shape.

Sandman Guru
    I think it was the other way around. I have photos of what is believed to be a 1972 event (possibly the Adelaide Hot Rod show in Dec) with the Devan in its original guise with a nameplate calling it the Devan and nominating it as a Styling Exercise, and later in 1973 painted white with a Chicken decal. There is Super8 footage of the (I think it is ) 1973 Motor Show in Sydney with the Devan as a Chicken van but I don't think it is called the Devan anymore. There are pictures also of what I think is teh Melbourne 1973 Motor Show in Feb/Mar 1973 where the White Chicken van on display is a different van. I always thught that the Devan was away being re-sprayed at this time and why it showed up again later in 1973 in Sydney.

I just found my notes from talking to Leo. The Chicken and Splash decals were around in 1968-9 prior to him coming to GMH. I'm not sure, or not sure he was sure if they were concept drawings or actual decals. I guess the former.

Thread Information