Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Daves HX Panelvan

Man, it's going to be brand new when you finish!

Top job, I wish I had the balls (and money, time, WIFE....) to do a full rebuild like you're doing.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

haha yeah the missus doesn't go into the garage, she has got used to me and cars she went through it with my tonner shes been through it with me wrecking cars in the backyard, now that the cars that get parted out go to a mates place shes grateful that i only have 3 cars at home, plus im a self employed chippy so a days off when i like (when shes not home) i can paint, bring in the bags of new parts etc, she has no idea what its cost just to get it to this stage haha

diff is now in nice new u bolts etc havnt put the brake shoes or wheel cylinders in yet i want to paint all the brake bits and pieces up first and put it back together once the bodes back on and im closer to driving the thing

Looking good mate..... Quality all the way.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

ive come to the first problem/ setback with the build, i have begun putting together the front end, upper control arms stubs and discs all went on no worries. got to the lower control arms grabbed my ball joint pressing tool and found i dont need it, the lower balljoint hole is flogged out on both lower control arms the balljoints just fall into position, such a pain considering they've been sandblasted painted new bushes etc, i think some of the problem may have been that ive had them sandblasted so im sure a few layers of paint were removed but also those tiny ribs may have been worn down a fraction and now its too loose, so now ive got to grab another pair clean them up and i reckon sand them up by hand paint them and have new bushes pressed in, i know i can have the others pressed out and re use them but i would rather just have new incase of any damage, its a bugger because i wanted the chassis rolling this long weekend

Cruiser
    That is a bugger. Thanks for sharing though, I'll know better when the day comes for me to sandblast. Looking the goods so far..!

The lower control arm ball joints were the same when i did my torana front end all loose
    couple of little tac welds is what i did to rectify this problem

That is all well and good, but if the arms are worn/flogged to the point they no longer retain the ball joints then they are work hardened. It is more likely someone previous to you owning the vehicle stretched the arms or even over heated them with an oxy to get the ball joints in (probably couldn't get them straight enough and they went in crooked until they flattened out on the lip). Welding or even tempering these arms will end up creating further weak spots in them. By design the lower control arms take most of the weight of the vehicle and need to be 100% reliable to keep that ball joint centered in its correct position for both suspension and steering duty.

Seriously suggest you get another good pair and start again. Eight months ago I could have mailed you a good pair for the cost of the postage... Dang it...
    Nunc est bibendum...

Once you put a couple of tac welds they arnt going anywhere trust me

Thread Information